Adjusting to new shoes

akeller91

Hi everyone!
I have a question regarding the correct shoe choice. I started running in 2014 and did it until 2016. Back then I randomly bought a pair of nike in a shoe store. No consultation or anything. And running in them felt like running on clouds. Last year I picked up running again, using the same shoes. Since my toes slowly started peaking out of the fabric, I decided to look for a new pair. Again, I randomly ordered a pair of nike online but wanted to go to a store and get a treadmill analysis as soon as covid allows it. The second pair was alright but whenever I finished a run the back of my left knee would become stiff after a few hours. In the late morning the stiffness would disappear though. Last week I had the chance to go to a store and get an analysis where I found out that my right foot overpronates. I was recommended a pair of brooks adrenaline 20 which I purchased then. When I tried them in the store, everything felt good. Since then I have taken 3 runs and yesterday didn't feel right. It felt as if my right foot was slightly twisted (as if the direction of my foot doesn't align with the direction of the shoe). When I woke up in the morning, my left knee (which has a neutral position btw) was a little bit stiff as always (since the second pair) and the right side of my right knee was swollen and incredibly stiff which I haven't experienced before. Why is that so? Does it have anything to do with the fact that I ran in shoes that intend to prevent overpronating? Did my right foot become accustomed to the fact that it overpronates and is "irritated" by the shoe now? Is that even possible? And should I continue running in the brooks ones?

Drhysted

When I returned to running about 6 years ago I did the treadmill test and was given shoes that corrected my running. A while afterwards I damaged my calf muscle which was unrelated to the shoes. However the physiotherapist I went to took one look at the trainers and instructed me to throw them out and get neutral trainers. She then gave me a set of exercises I had to do daily.
It appears that correcting your gait moves the problems to another area, if you're lucky you can get away with it, but you're better off correcting the problem at source, as my physio did.

Top Bottom