Advice on trail running shoes....

Discussion in 'Trail Running' started by runner, Jan 13, 2018.

1. runner

runner Member

In order to run a little different and to ease the pressure on my old bones that road running surely does I have started entering races with more of a trail/woodland/mud feel....but the real problem for me is shoes and in particular shoe that can not only run on trails but is good on road. I recently bought (and returned ) some solomon speedcross 4 which are only for running in muddy conditions over soft terrain. So what trail shoe can be the all dancing shoe that enables me to comfortably run on roads and then switch to trail mud etc.....or do I just persevere with my excellent Brooks Glycerin 14 shoes which are not ideal for running over trail ground etc..

2. StephenR

StephenR Regular Member

I did the Keilder Winter 10 mile trails race last weekend in Salomon Wings Flyte 2 shoes which were great. They seem to have a bit of a thicker sole than the Speedcross

The route was a mix of mud, grassed areas, rocky areas, gravel paths and a small amount of asphalt roads.

My roads shoes are Brooks Adrenaline which would’ve been unsuitable for some of last weeks course. Other with road shoes were really struggling.

C7530C35-77E7-4AE0-A9BF-957819BDF18C.jpeg

runner likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    runner

runner Member

How were they on the road Stephen did they cope just ok?....this was the problem with the speedcross they were only suitable for mud but as you say an MT course is usually a bit of everything

4. StephenR

StephenR Regular Member

They did very well on the road sections, even coped well with the icy sections. They wouldn’t ever replace my road shoes for a full asphalt circuit but then thats not what they were designed for.

5. OP
    OP
    runner

runner Member

is this the same shoe?
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/salomon-wings-flyte-2-gtx-shoes/

I tend to buy on wiggle as their returns policy is brilliant and this was the only wings flight they had in stock...the type of terrain and race they would be used in is the following which are club in Bristol is running this year and I plan to as well
    https://sites.google.com/site/chepstowharriersrunningclub/open-races/tintern-trot

More and more running clubs are introducing cross country/trail which is great just need the right gear....so what do you think of these shoes Stephen...

6. StephenR

StephenR Regular Member

They certainly look like rhe same shoes. Companies change colour every year. I have’16 and ‘17 pairs of the same shoes are they are totally different colours.

I personally think these shoes are great. My aging knees get of well will them.

Don’t know where you are based but any cross country races I did in Greater Manchester called for spiked cx shoes. I have numerous pairs as I like to have the right shoes for the particular terrain.

Somebody once told me running was cheap. They lied! :laugh:

runner likes this.
  7. TriTom

TriTom Regular Member

Have you looked at some other Brooks trail shoes like the Mazama or Pure-grit if you like Brooks?

8. WiltshireWonder

WiltshireWonder Active Member Staff Member

Golly I'd love some decent road-to-trail shoes. The best I've found is Salomon but they're not ideal.

9. OP
    OP
    runner

runner Member

The really hard thing is trying to buy a pair of shoes that are both good on road and trail without losing too much "road" comfort. As all trail runs usually include sections of road the salomon speedcross were not ideal so I sent them back yesterday

10. TriTom

TriTom Regular Member

The problem is I think a "do-it-all" shoe would get bad reviews for being neither her nor there and get stick for being useless at both trail or road.

runner likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    runner

runner Member

That is prob true then prob the best question to ask what is the best trail shoe that is acceptable and runable over short stretches of tarmac (up to 1 mile) the rest being over mud and trail...

12. Flatflr

Flatflr Regular Member

One of the things to consider in the difference between road running shoes and pure trail running shoes in the drop (difference between heel height and the ball of the foot. Road shoes generally have quite a high drop (adding comfort) with trail shows having a low drop (putting the runner slightly lower, reducing the risk of going over on the ankle).

A big change in drop may require a number of short runs to get used to.

Salomon are one brand who do have quite a range of high drop trail shoes.

13. Trailrunningmonkey

Trailrunningmonkey New Member

A bit too late perhaps but for your next pair you might want to consider a pair from the Saucony Peregrine series. Great for light trail and still has that cushioned feeling for road running. If you want shoes for rougher trail however, then definitely consider going with separate shoes for different runs.
    Happy running!

/ Daniel

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  14. Flatflr

Flatflr Regular Member

Thumbs up for the Saucony Peregrines, 16 miles in mine today, mud, hardpack and a little road and they coped well.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

15. OP
    OP
    runner

runner Member

great advice Daniel even though I have now have a pair of Salomon's I did consider the Saucony and so may well buy an additional pair.....just like road bikes you can't have enough running/trail shoes :smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice