Any ex-smokers start running after quitting smoking or as a means of helping you to stop smoking?

Discussion in 'Health, Fitness and Injuries' started by Redbadger, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Redbadger

Redbadger Regular Member Staff Member

I've noticed a few people on other forums commenting that they got into running as means of helping them quit smoking or as a way of getting fitter after they'd stopped.

How about you? Ever been a smoker? Did running help you get fit after you'd made your mind up to stop smoking? Did running encourage you to quit smoking to improve your health?

2. TriTom

TriTom Regular Member

I smoked for years, 'quit' numerous times, when I quit for good it was because of running, initially I started running to cut some body fat as I was weight lifting and playing a little rugby at the time and wanted to get a bit leaner and quicker, soon realised that I quite enjoyed running so started doing longer distances and then soon realised that the smoking was holding me back so jacked it in and I haven't had and don't think I ever will smoke again, the thought of smoking now repulses me and I would be so disappointed in myself if I ever had a cigarette again.

Once that switch had clicked in my head that running performance was more important to me than smoking I found it easy to quit, but I think it's not something you can force on to yourself, you have to genuinely want it deep down.

3. Steve

Steve Regular Member Staff Member

Started at about 21 and quit when I was about 45, tried a couple of times to stop then remember "just deciding" as what @TriTom said, you have to want to. Put a chunk of money away each month for 8 years or so and ended up with a fair bit, it build up really quickly, paid for Christmas presents (couple of new bikes!) and a few holidays.

Put of a bit of weight to begin with but eventually came off, felt fitter and "cleaner", and my overall fitness improved, giving up was the best decision I made.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice