1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody thinking about venturing in to Duathlon or Triathlon

Discussion in 'Duathlons and Triathlons' started by TriTom, Jan 27, 2018.

1. TriTom

TriTom Member

Anybody toying with the idea of trying triathlon or duathlon and if so what's stopping you?

Redbadger likes this.
  2. StephenR

StephenR Regular Member

I did some training with a mate for a two up duathalon in late 2016 but had to pull out of the event itself as got flu a couple of days before!

Do plan to return to it soon though.

Trialthalons aren’t for me, my swimming is atrocious!

3. OP
    OP
    TriTom

TriTom Member

Have you done any swim training? When I got into Tri it was from running then adding cycle commuting, I hadn't swum since I was a teenager and never actually swam front crawl in my life but now that I've learnt and seen big improvements I find I quite like swimming on its own and considering doing some swimming events.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    Truth likes this.
  4. StephenR

StephenR Regular Member

Trying to find the time to fit some swim training in at the moment but suspect it’ll take a while to get me up from my current level :laugh:

5. carlp

carlp Regular Member

To answer the question, in a word, and not to put a to finer point on it.

No.

TriTom likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    TriTom

TriTom Member

Im struggling to fit any training in at the moment and swimming is definitely the first to get neglected, not like you can just throw on a pair of trainers and do it anywhere.

carlp likes this.
  7. WiltshireWonder

WiltshireWonder Active Member Staff Member

My husband did two ironman triathlons so I went to several tris to support him. I kind of fancied it but the swim puts me off. I hate swimming and I hate cold water. I do quite fancy a duathlon though....

StephenR likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    TriTom

TriTom Member

There's some really short distances available, 400m pool swim, but you're still getting a good hour or so racing.
    I'd love to do a 70.3 in the next couple of years and probably an iron distance but that won't be until the kids are of an age where it isn't cool to hang out with dad.

9. StephenR

StephenR Regular Member

Mrs R did Ironman Bolton as couple of years ago. She started out with a local NHS ‘Fun’ Triathlon.

This year she, so far, has entered Edinburgh 70.3 Ironman and Outlaw Full Triathlon. She’s a great inspiration to me but my swimming lets me done badly.

Redbadger and TriTom like this.
  10. Redbadger

Redbadger Member Staff Member

No from me too - can't stand water (so never learned to swim) and whilst I can cycle it's only a backup if there is no car, bus, taxi or magic carpet available. :whistle:

carlp likes this.
  11. Truth

Truth Member

I am doing my first Triathlon this April :smile: .
    Its only a sprint one though, 400m swim , 20k cycle and 5k run.
    I am a rubbish swimmer so will be happy with a 14 minute swim time and then start picking people off in the next two categories......

TriTom and carlp like this.
  12. Bucky

Bucky Regular Member

I've been very tempted, but my swimming is poor so I need to get back into the pool first.
    Duathlons are of more interest at the moment but I struggle to find them in the sea of triathlon events available. Nearly signed up to the Darley Moor race track duathlon last year, maybe this year.

13. OP
    OP
    TriTom

TriTom Member

https://findarace.com/duathlons

Bucky likes this.
  14. Bucky

Bucky Regular Member

Thanks! Much easier to have them in one place. ^_^

15. Flatflr

Flatflr Regular Member

I tried a tri, hated the swim but loved the ride and the run. It was the running element that moved me from a 4 mile plodder to proper training and eventually got me into marathon and beyond distance.

Truth and TriTom like this.