Are some people simply not suited to running or is it just a matter of perseverance?

Redbadger

Staff member
A colleague who wanted to get a bit fitter joined me at the gym recently and when we got on the treadmills they just couldn't get up to a run, no matter how many times we tried to start slowly and build to a gentle run, their feet just kept slopping loudly and we had to turn the speed back down.

I was patient and tried a lot of times to get them going but we eventually settled on a stiff walking pace. Every time we tried a run their feet pounded loudly and they looked very uncomfortable.

Are some people just not able to run comfortably or do you think everyone can run with enough perseverance?

Drhysted

According to my physiotherapist I am not built for running and if I were to have seen her before I started running she would have strongly advised me not to start.
Apparently I have to little flexibility in my ankles which puts me at more risk of injury.
I think I’m very heavy footed, but as I apparently manage to sneak up on people (I don’t know how as I think I’m doing an impression of a stream train) I’m not as bad as I think.

OP
Redbadger

Redbadger

Staff member
He's now thinking of getting a bike instead. :biggrin: Easier on the knees, feet and back he says.

I've got a friend I go cycling with for this very reason. He just can't get into running at all. Leaves me in his dust when he decides to give the pedals some welly though.

Rule 42

I can’t run, my ankles didn’t form properly, I can ride a bike, and walk briskly, climb up things okay, but my ankles are all kind of floppy if I try to run, and I get injured very quickly. I still do the odd 10K event, and have taken part in half marathons, but at fast walking pace. I could get things done involving surgical procedures, but the risks outweigh the benefits, so I’m fine as I am.

Top Bottom