Are there such things as running shorts or will any pair do?

Discussion in 'Running Gear and Equipment' started by Fresh Start, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Fresh Start

Fresh Start Member

Do you guys just use ordinary sports shorts when running or are there running specific ones that are designed to work better for runners?

I can't see myself wearing lycra shorts but just wondered if certain types were better for running. Maybe football shorts or something like that?

2. Drhysted

Drhysted Regular Member

All of my running gear is running specific.

Fresh Start likes this.
  3. amasidlover

amasidlover Active Member

I rather like 'trail' shorts which have an inner tight(ish) liner and then a baggy outer; I'm a bit self conscious in the lycra ones... My favourites are the Ronhill Cargo Trails which actually have a pocket big enough to get a bunch of keys or a small phone and extra pockets for gels (I've never understood why runners aren't allowed pockets to put stuff in whilst cyclists are).

4. WiltshireWonder

WiltshireWonder Active Member Staff Member

My husband does the same! I'd definitely get some proper running shorts if they're not too expensive. I'd also recommend Body Glide (a skin lubricant) to stop the chafing. And, assuming you're a man....look after those poor nipples.

Fresh Start likes this.
  5. Flatflr

Flatflr Regular Member

These are the ones I wear too, but I generally wear a hydration belt or vest for key, phone, food and water storage.

Also +1 on the body glide can save quite a bit of soreness in very sensitive places..

6. amasidlover

amasidlover Active Member

Oh yes - micropore tape for nipples on long/hot/hard runs!

Fresh Start likes this.
  7. John the Monkey

John the Monkey Regular Member

I used to run in the Endura Humvee shirts I wore for cycling. They were a bit heavy for the summer though, so I bought running specific shorts then.

Ime, ordinary shorts will do when you start - if you don't like running in them, think about why and buy a pair that doesn't have the feature (s) that are annoying you.

Fresh Start likes this.
  8. Truth

Truth Regular Member

Nothing wrong in running in football shorts. I run in More Mile shorts or football shorts and both are fine :smile:

Fresh Start likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice