Canicross?

Discussion in 'Trail Running' started by Charlotte Alice Rose, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Does anyone else take part in this amazing sport? I love it! Most people think its only for big dogs and very fit people.

But it's actually extremely accessible! I hated running up until around January last year when I started to lose a little weight and felt better about running. I started just in the gym and then saw canicross on TV. We had rescued a very cute Parson Jack Russell Terrier (pics to follow) around October 2016. I had never thought I could do it and be good at it.

Of course, trail running is completely different to road running - terrain is tricky and then adding an excitable little dog as well. I don't fit the usual category for canicross - my dog is small and I am not particularly fast....however, since my last competition last year in October, I have managed to take around 3 minutes off my time. :sun:

However, I took part in two duathlons in 2017...it was alot of fun and definitely gave me some focus as to what I need to work on etc.

Just a brief background on me...my life up till February 2017 wasn't the healthiest or most active. I was in bad place just with my work, friends, partners etc. But a change of job into a leisure centre, surrounded by very supportive and encouraging people meant that I now love exercise and it's a big part of my life.

I have had a couple of back quibbles and twisted the same left ankle twice while doing canicross - but this has just made me realise I need to look after my body more as well as work it - all these things happen for a reason right?!

I know I have gone off topic a little, so I will swing back to canicross - even if you are not that fit or you don't think your dog will like it - it's always worth a try - its surprising that once dogs in a pack start running, they will soon love it!

Steve likes this.
  2. WiltshireWonder

WiltshireWonder Active Member Staff Member

Two of my running friends do it and it looks so much fun. I ran with them one time and they streaked up hills, dog-powered, leaving me huffing and puffing behind them. I would seriously love to do it, if I had a dog. Felinecross doesn't sound so much fun!

I think we need photos of your dog though :smile:

3. OP
    OP
    Charlotte Alice Rose

Charlotte Alice Rose New Member

Hehe- don't worry, I will find some nice photos of him later- he is such a handsome little dog. I just hate the weather right now as it makes trail running even more risky!!

Even if you can borrow a dog that's had some training, it's definitely a lot of fun ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice