Carbs: Are baked beans good for carb loading the day before a long race?

Discussion in 'Nutrition, Hydration and Supplements' started by Aliceband, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Aliceband

Aliceband New Member

Are baked beans any good for carbs the day before running a half marathon? I know there are good and bad carbs, and lots of people swear by pasta the day/evening before, but I like baked beans and wondered if they're just as good, better, or worse for carb loading the day before a long race?

2. Nessie

Nessie New Member

I'd be wary of the fibre content to be honest. I tend to avoid anything high fibre for a couple of days before a race as they can cause unwanted gut issues.

Aliceband likes this.
  3. WiltshireWonder

WiltshireWonder Active Member Staff Member

HAHAHAHA....have you never had that awful feeling of knowing you need a poo mid-run?? ;)

john59 and Aliceband like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Aliceband

Aliceband New Member

Thanks. I hadn't really thought about the side effects of eating beans, and no, I don't suppose I want gut problems part way through.

So would pasta be a good alternative or are there other foods I could try that won't make me want to go to the loo half way round?

5. Fresh Start

Fresh Start Member

6. amasidlover

amasidlover Active Member

The general advice would be pasta, rice, potatoes; starchy carbs that have low fibre and thus don't race through the digestive system - things which have high complex carbohydrate content - the percentage of carbs from sugar in baked beans is higher than I would go for (unless you're making them yourself rather than buying tinned).

However, I would always advice not doing anything new on or before race day; therefore either eat the foods that you normally eat but slightly more of the carby ones on the day or two before race day or experiment with foods you think would be good the day before a long run a few weeks before race day.

You're looking for about 6-10g of carbohydrate per kg of bodyweight on the day before the race.

Aliceband likes this.
  7. runner

runner Member

8. OP
    OP
    Aliceband

Aliceband New Member

Thanks @amasidlover - great advice, I'll give that a try. :smile:

amasidlover likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice