Cold weather running advice

Discussion in 'General Running Discussions' started by Redbadger, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Redbadger

Redbadger Regular Member Staff Member

It has been fairly mild so far this winter but it looks as though temperatures will be dropping soon so I wondered how you guys cope with running in the really cold weather?

Do you buy winter-specific gear to train in or just layer-up? What sort of hat, gloves, socks, etc. to make sure you keep warm but don't overheat or end up a slimy pile of sweat and snot when you stop and warm down?

2. Tenkaykev

Tenkaykev Member

Layer up, and dress for the second mile.

Redbadger, Tennersee and TriTom like this.
  3. TriTom

TriTom Active Member

I like that saying ‘dress for the second mile’ sums it up really well.

Redbadger likes this.
  4. Stig-OT-Dump

Stig-OT-Dump Regular Member

My buff ends up as a wristband.
    I sometimes carry my bunnet by the end of a run.
    I bought some leggings out of Lidl a few years back and have never found anything to match them since.
    If it's Baltic, then ilI' wear football (or even ski) socks, and a pair of really thin gloves from sports direct.

Redbadger likes this.
  5. Tenkaykev

Tenkaykev Member

I've been really surprised by just how effective a Buff worn around the neck can be. I ventured out for a run last night, absolutely freezing, I thought my fillings were going to fall out. I only managed 6k but by the end of the run the Buff was off and around my wrist.
    They are inexpensive and magical bits of kit, I wear one in the summer to protect my neck from the sun. Oddly enough it doesn't seem to overheat me then, it's also great for soaking in water to keep you cool.

Redbadger likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice