Disheartened

Discussion in 'General Training and Racing Discussion' started by WiltshireWonder, Jun 11, 2018.

1. WiltshireWonder

WiltshireWonder Active Member Staff Member

Grrr.

Since January I've been working super hard to get a HM PB. I set myself an ambitious (for me) goal and was all prepared to work away at it but I'm honestly just getting slower and slower. Yesterday's HM was barely under two hours and I was hoping for 1.53.

Yes, I need to clean up my diet. But that's probably the only thing that needs a lot of work.

I think i'm done with the HM distance, at least for racing it hard. It's so depressing to put in the work and get nothing out. I'm in my early 40s...maybe I'm just not going to get faster.

2. Drhysted

Drhysted Regular Member

Must admit I rarely set myself a target. I want to get under the 1:30, I just haven’t set a time limit.
    Nearly all my running is solo comfortably pace, which I then look at when I get home.

It might be time to scrap the target time and just enjoy the running, maybe drop the mileage a little, or find a new route.

classic33 and WiltshireWonder like this.
  3. TriTom

TriTom Active Member

But what were the weather conditions? It was blooming hot up here.
    Was it a race? Were you feeling fresh?

You’re not falling into a grey area of running too fast on slow runs and to slow on fast runs are you? That seems to be my problem and I seem to get neither speed or endurance benefits just fatigued.

4. OP
    OP
    WiltshireWonder

It was a race. I'd tapered okay. It was pretty warm but I've been living in California and honestly didn't feel the heat at all, although it may have affected me without me knowing. The thing is that there's a pattern of me quietly getting slower despite lots of work. I may well be falling into that too fast/too slow trap but I didn't think I was.

Sigh. I know it's not a biggie - I try to keep running in perspective but darn it's depressing.

5. classic33

classic33 Member

Any major difference between the two areas? Height, all year round temperatures, that sort of thing.

6. OP
    OP
    WiltshireWonder

Temperatures definitely. Elevation probably about the same. There could be a hay fever factor. Ugh.

7. classic33

classic33 Member

Drier air as well a possibilty.

I'd compare two similar courses, before getting dis-heartened.

WiltshireWonder likes this.
  8. Truth

Truth Regular Member

Keep chasing the time...... I ran a PB half marathon last year at 49 , broke 1hour 45 . Early 40's is no age :okay:

classic33 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice