Do You Get Shouted at By Car Drivers For Being In The Road?

Discussion in 'General Running Discussions' started by Running Cat, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Running Cat

Running Cat New Member

I'm running along country roads at the moment. I avoid busy times.
    I still get a few cars along there.

Today I have had my first car driver shout at me for being in the road. I've had loads of motorists do this whilst I've been cycling.
    She was in a small blue car. She wouldn't overtake. There was plenty of room.
    She waited for a really wide bit of road, slowly overtook me, beeped and shouted that she wanted to get past.
    I shouted back that there was loads of room.
    Is this a common occurrence?
    I've noticed on the bike that bigger vehicles can usually get past me. It's people in small cars that have trouble!!

2. StephenR

StephenR Regular Member

Nope never had it happen whilst running, and very, veeerrryyy, rarely whilst cycling.

Driver is an idiot.

Running Cat likes this.
  3. Drhysted

Drhysted Regular Member

Never been shouted at. Had plenty of very close passes (shoulder brush mirror type) and a couple of leap into the ditch jobs (why I always face traffic).
    The thing that disappoints me is how close cyclists get, you’d have thought they knew better.

4. TriTom

TriTom Regular Member

We’re you running with or against the traffic?

5. OP
    OP
    Running Cat

Running Cat New Member

I was facing the traffic until I got to a corner. I placed myself where I could see around it.
    The car came up to me on a wide bit of road but wouldn't overtake.

6. StephenR

StephenR Regular Member

My preference is to run facing traffic but certain road setups give no room for (driver) error doing that so will run with traffic in those cases.

7. TriTom

TriTom Regular Member

I was just wondering as I was always told the Highway Code said to walk/run against traffic (unless not safe to do so and then go with traffic) which is what I always do if I ever need to run on the road but it’s rare.

StephenR likes this.
  8. part time runner

part time runner New Member

some car drivers / passengers are just morons i have been shouted out sworn at spat at and things thrown at me on runs...... the joys of living close to London i suppose.....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice