GPS Watch vs Smartphone - What GPS device do you use when out on a run?

Discussion in 'Watches, GPS and Phone Apps' started by Redbadger, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Redbadger

Redbadger Regular Member Staff Member

Just wondered if any of you use a GPS watch when running or whether you prefer to use your smartphone (assuming most take a phone anyway)?

Garmin Forerunner seems to come up a lot in searches but are there better devices available, in your experience?

2. TriTom

TriTom Active Member

Garmin 910xt is good if you like to ride or swim as well, first Garmin I got was the 310xt which was a really good multi sport watch just a little bulky.
    Never had a watch just for running as I just used endomondo on my phone when I first started.

Redbadger likes this.
  3. StephenR

StephenR Regular Member

I’ve gone through a couple of watches but now settled on the Garmin Fenix 3

Find it handy when doing duathalons as it can connect to all the ant+ stuff on the bike.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    Redbadger likes this.
  4. Flatflr

Flatflr Regular Member

GPS watch for me.

Started with a Garmin Forerunner 15, small and basic but the battery only lasted 4 hours so no good for marathon distance. Upgraded to a Forerunner 230 (good to 7+ hours), which I used with the heart rate monitor strap, then decided I wanted the built in heart rate monitor so went to a Forerunner 235.

I have pretty thin wrists so some of the bigger watches look a bit daft on me, the 235 is about the biggest i'd go.

Redbadger likes this.
  5. Drhysted

Drhysted Regular Member

Garmin fenix3 hr myself. Does everything and more than I need.

Redbadger likes this.
  6. Tennersee

Tennersee Member

Garmin with HR here too.

Redbadger likes this.
  7. carlp

carlp Regular Member

Garmin 35 atm, easy to use bit of kit with a HRM in the base of the watch.

Redbadger likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice