headtorches

Discussion in 'Running Gear and Equipment' started by WiltshireWonder, Nov 8, 2017.

1. WiltshireWonder

WiltshireWonder Active Member Staff Member

So we just moved from the suburbs to the countryside and it is so flipping dark here at night, I haven't run in the dark at all yet!

Any thoughs on head torches? I see lots of recommendations for Unilites but any particular models? And any alternatives? I want one with all the lumens!!!

2. amasidlover

amasidlover Active Member

I use a rechargeable Decathlon one with the battery at the back and I keep it topped up (rather than hoping the batteries don't run out midrun); its fine for providing light, but its not exactly comfortable, I'm aware its there throughout the run - I have a friend who runs with one of these which looks better and he likes.

I also see Ledlenser and Petzel Nao recommended a lot by other fell runners - but at the moment what I have works so I can't really justify replacing it.

Also; if I was replacing, I'd pick something with a red LED at the back as I currently tend to clip on a separate rear light when running along country roads etc.

3. Pure ZOOG

Pure ZOOG New Member

After looking at expensive models I decided to get this inexpensive HeroBeam head torch (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01772HW7C/), mainly because of the good reviews. It's reasonably bright on the high setting, and light enough that it doesn't bounce around on the forehead when running.

There's one or two that I run with who use the chest harness type but I notice these tend to bounce the light around as they run, the head torch by comparison being more stable plus it illuminates what you're looking at rather than just straight ahead.

There's no red LED on the back, which would have been nice, but for the price I paid it's a great little light.

4. OP
    OP
    WiltshireWonder

I definitely agree about the red LED at the back, I'm using my husband's cycling light at the moment. And I really like that chest light - it must make it easier to see the ground.

5. OP
    OP
    WiltshireWonder

Interesting about the bouncing. That would make me feel a bit sick after a while.

6. Steve

Steve Regular Member Staff Member

A couple of the ladies at my running group have just bought these: https://goo.gl/RmrmL2 they are pretty bright and once adjusted seem to fit quite well. They have the additional benefit of having a light on the back. I've not actually tried one so can't vouch for how comfortable they are.

WiltshireWonder likes this.
  7. The Rover

The Rover Member

I don't have a head torch as its well lit on my routes but I've seen these recommended.
    I've bought from alpkit before and have been impressed with the service.

Cheers.

https://www.alpkit.com/explore/head-torches

8. Flatflr

Flatflr Regular Member

I do a lot of my running at night in the winter and have been using a Petzl RXP for the last couple of years: comfortable strap, rechargeable, red light, reactive light (so you won't get blinded looking at a map or watch) and battery can last up to 10 hours (longest I've used it for was about 3 on high beam) and an extra battery pack which takes 3 AAA batteries can extend this futher.

9. OP
    OP
    WiltshireWonder

I went out for my first run in the dark last night. It was FLIPPING INKY DARKNESS. My headtorch did a rubbish job so I'm going to start buying lumens today!!

10. Flatflr

Flatflr Regular Member

Dark runs are great fun, especially when you hear a deer crashing through the woods, scared the sh~t out of me....

11. Mudrock

Mudrock Regular Member

Good shout as I've brought a set after seeing your post, happy with them but the front light tends to ride up but not a problem.
    Cheers

Steve likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    WiltshireWonder

I'm so glad I was able to help. Maybe tighten it a bit, I haven't noticed it riding up on me? It's such a bargain though.

Mudrock likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice