How much to spend on first pair of running shoes?

Discussion in 'Running Gear and Equipment' started by Fresh Start, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Fresh Start

Fresh Start Member

I don't know if I will actually manage to get to the running stage but what sort of budget would you suggest for a first pair of running shoes?

Also, can you just use regular trainers like the ones on offer in JD Sports and the like?

2. Drhysted

Drhysted Regular Member

Really difficult one to answer. Personally I spend between £60 to £100 per pair. I also use neutral footwear as my physiotherapist has (as much as she can) corrected my posture.
    Trainers really are a mine field as there are so many different types with different purposes and equipment levels.

Fresh Start likes this.
  3. WiltshireWonder

WiltshireWonder Active Member Staff Member

I tend to spend about 80 quid. It's worth spending a little more at first and get some expert help from a running store. Once you know what you like, you can generally get older models on the internet for less money. But it's a good investment when you start running.

Fresh Start, amasidlover and StephenR like this.
  4. StephenR

StephenR Active Member

^^this.

I made the mistake of thinking I knew what I needed and bought a pair off the internet as that's what my friends wore. Get some decent help for the first pair then you can shop around online and get better deals next time onwards.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  5. runner

runner Member

Somewhere between £50 and £100. It's best to buy first pair form a good running shop as different shoes fit and please certain people...after that buy on the net some great bargains out there. Also look for a designer outlet store ie Clarks shopping village, and they usually have a running shop with reduced prices across the range

Fresh Start likes this.
  6. robertchappell

robertchappell New Member

between £40 to £60

Fresh Start likes this.
  7. TriTom

TriTom Active Member

Depends what you can afford, if you can afford to blow £100 on them then go for it, but if your budget is lower and you're starting out then £30 region.

Fresh Start likes this.
  8. Redbadger

Redbadger Regular Member Staff Member

As per the above advice of others ... but just to add that you can save quite a bit of money on some of the more fashionable brands by buying last season's (or older). Perfectly good shoes and usually heavily discounted compared to the launch price. The only issue you're likely to have is sizing, since the popular / common sizes will sell out over time and the remaining stock will often be the larger and smaller ends of the scale.

What size shoe are you?

Fresh Start likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    Fresh Start

Fresh Start Member

Thanks everyone. I'm going to have a look through the sales and see what I can pick up. I'm going to start with some walking first.

Redbadger I am a size 9 which I think is quite common as I never have any problems buying shoes etc.

Redbadger likes this.
  10. StephenR

StephenR Active Member

I’m a size nine too. Unfortunately its alway one of the first sizes that sells out. I find it extremely difficult to get my preferred runnnig shoe in the sales but was lucky to get them at 20% off is a special offer at an event last year.

Redbadger likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice