How much will you pay for running clothes?

Discussion in 'Running Clothing' started by WiltshireWonder, Apr 3, 2018.

1. WiltshireWonder

WiltshireWonder Active Member Staff Member

I heard about Soar Running this week so did some casual online sleuthing. Their stuff is nice, much classier than the regular stuff, but heck it's expensive! Ladies' Capris for 75 quid, a tshirt for 50. I freely admit I'm a cheapskate but that seems VERY expensive to me. I also saw some la Sportiva kit and I rather love it (I'm a big fan of bright running clothes) but that was quite pricey too.

Is it just me or do you guys shell out decent money for decent kit?

2. TriTom

TriTom Active Member

I never really spent a lot of money on sport kit, other than trainers, but even now I search for last years trainers (admittedly that's partly as I know they will be good if I've had them before).
    Now the only kit I will spend a stupid amount in is club kit but that's because I can't get it elsewhere and even then I got the essentials (to a certain extent, I have got cycle bibs and jersey whereas some have gone for jersey and cheaper plain bibs)
    I don't really like spending money anymore mostly cos I don't have much of it :smile:

3. OP
    OP
    WiltshireWonder

WiltshireWonder Active Member Staff Member

Cycling/Tri clothes are so expensive. Triathlon is crazy-expensive, my husband's ironmans were staggeringly so! And I always buy last season's trainers for cheap!!!

4. StephenR

StephenR Regular Member

I tend you spend what I need to to get kit to perform the function I require it to.

For example I have some cheaper kit I use for short runs up to about the 10 mile mark. Beyond that I wear more expensive stuff, usually but not always bought in the sales, as they have tidier seams, better wicking and just overall more comfortable thus reducing the chance of rubbing.

As for cycling: you can’t wear cheap clobber on expensive bikes :laugh:

5. carlp

carlp Regular Member

I’ll spend as little as possible and buy from Sports Direct, usually shorts and socks. I’ve got so many free event tops I’ll never need to buy a top event again.

The only thing I spend a lot of money on is running shoes, which are currently Hoka’s. They’re superb.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  6. Garry A

Garry A Member

Decathlon and Sports Direct. No way am I spending over a hundred quid on running shoes. Kiprun shoes from Decathlon have been good.

7. StephenR

StephenR Regular Member

I use Brooks shoes and pick up a pair whenever I can find them in the sales. Tried others but just don’t get on with them. Since I first bought them prices have been creeping up and they are becoming harder to find at discount prices.

8. amasidlover

amasidlover Active Member

www.sportsshoes.com tend to have last season's Brooks heavily discounted if you're not fussy about colours.

Bucky likes this.
  9. Running Cat

Running Cat New Member

I've bought some of the Lidl running kit. It's rather good.
    I also wear Marks and Spencer sports wear. I'm not going to spend a fortune on kit.

10. StephenR

StephenR Regular Member

Not fussy about colours at all. You should see my collection :laugh:

Unfortunately Sportsshoes seldom have Brooks Adrenaline GTS never mind in my size.

11. KNH_running

KNH_running New Member

Try https://acticool.net/ it has some bright colours for a pretty decent price, and they are by far they the most comfortable shirts I've ever run in.

WiltshireWonder and carlp like this.
  12. TriTom

TriTom Active Member

Been needing some new shorts for ages but didn’t want to spend much on them, fortunately it’s not been shorts weather for a while and last summer I wore my old ones which must have shrunk as they were getting shorter than short, my wife was concerned I wouldn’t come back from a run due to being arrested for indecent exposure (which is still a worry as my running tights and bib longs either have holes or are getting pretty see through in the important places.
    Just bought some more mile shorts £5 each, so I will have to do some running this summer to justify the expense :smile:

StephenR likes this.
  13. stephec

stephec Member

If you like Brooks keep an eye on your local Tkmaxx, they often have them in, especially at new year.
    I picked up a pair of GTS 15 for £35.

14. stephec

stephec Member

I usually pay whatever Decathlon have discounted their stock to, or branded stuff from Tkmaxx.

15. Drhysted

Drhysted Regular Member

I’ve got a favourite pair of shorts, went looking for some more the other day and can’t find them under £50. Got we thinking “did I really pay that much last time”. Needless to say I haven’t ordered any.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice