How was your run today?

TriTom

10km lunch run, felt a little difficult but not uncomfortably so, but realised I was on for a 49:30 finish, really need to wind it back in as I keep going faster and faster with each run and that is not my plan, don’t get me wrong it’s nice to see the speed coming back but I’ve been here before where I try to beat times every run and it works for a while but eventually gets to a plateau which ends in disappointment or illness/injury.
Ran a 51min 10km on Friday lunch and then at fast 1.9km straight of the bike at home time (only because I was meeting the kids at the pool and getting a lift home otherwise I wouldn’t have run twice).

So wednesdays plan is a 10km but no faster than 52mins!!!!!
This is where I could do with my garmin to keep an eye on pace at a glance.

TriTom

Well my plan did not work, didn’t bring my Garmin so couldn’t see my pace without having my phone out of my pocket, nearly sacked off the run before I even started as I felt a little tired after a poor night with my youngest last night, so when I got out and it felt tough but slow I thought it was to be expected, and I kept slowing myself to try to make it feel easier and if I could get to 10km I would take it.
Little did I realise that I was running roughly the same if not slightly quicker than Monday!!!!! But it felt soooooooo slow and laboured!!!!
10km at 4:56/km I genuinely don’t feel like I could have run slower.

traceyphillips

My run last night was so disappointing! I sprained my ankle going up hill and I'm going to have to be out for a little bit till it recovers. Frustrating though because I wanted to do the 1000 miles club this year! :sad::sad:

TriTom

Sunny lunch run for me today, really concentrated on running slowly, nearly got carried away when I saw a guy in front with calf guards on and figured he must be a triathlete too and the competitiveness in me (I’m not mega competitive but like to show I can hold my own) started to take over but I didn’t give in to it.
Not exactly what I’d planned bring a sep in the right direction, 10.2km @ 5:02/km so about 5secs slower/km, want to try to get that down to about 5:10 next run.

Starting to get exiting here in Harrogate with the UCI world cycling championships getting all set up, roads are closing, fan park is taking shape, pro riders and team cars doing recce of the routes and of course everyone that isn’t interested in cycling whining about road closures and shops losing money and press tents being erected where they can see it from their front door!!!!
Think I will see what’s going on at what times next week and run straight in to town on my lunches to soak up the atmosphere, only a mile or 2 away.

Drhysted

My run last night was so disappointing! I sprained my ankle going up hill and I'm going to have to be out for a little bit till it recovers. Frustrating though because I wanted to do the 1000 miles club this year! :sad::sad:
It’s a shame there isn’t a sympathy like available! Sorry to hear you’re on an enforced break, hope it’s only minor and you’re back out there soon.

Drhysted

Bit of a poor week. The Achilles issue (it isn’t a problem yet) isn’t improving. After a short run (3 miles) it was up again Thursday, but I can’t take the 2 months off that my physio adviced yet as I’ve got a cross country 10 mile in November.
so I’ve decided to knock everything back, stop cycling to work ( the cycle shoes were rubbing the area), and drop down to 2 runs a week, half hour treadmill on Wednesday and 3/4 to full distance at the weekend. Then (after the event) take November and December off, effectively starting a “couch to 5k” training in January.
Let’s see if I have the will power to see this through!

TriTom

Lunch run in to town and round the UCI championship fan park (literally round it not in it) just for a nosey, junior women had finished tt’ing and junior men weren’t starting for another hour or so. Was planning just 5ish km as legs were tired from last week, weekend building furniture and the 2 loops of the uci tt course on the bike in Sunday.
Turns out into town and back is about 8km so just did the extra 2 as by that point a niggle in my right leg had disappeared strangely after doing a couple of fast 30 sec effort where as it was niggling when I was trying to run really slow.

Go careful @Drhysted, 2 months off and going in slightly under trained but injury free may well be better than pushing on and it glaring up worse putting you out of the race and for longer afterwards.

TriTom

10.5km @ 5:09/km pace, straight up into to town, didn’t feel comfortable in the lower legs but breathing was fine.
Think I may do 5km on Friday rather than pushing to 10, should have called it’s day at 8km when I got back to work today but ran passed and back to make it 10.
Group of us are going to cycle a couple of laps of the UCI circuit on Sunday morning but I’m wanting to do 2 laps on the bike then run a lap just logistics of taking trainers in to town then locking my bike up with shoes and helmet without them going missing or getting binned by the police for looking suspicious.

TriTom

10.5km @ 4:57/km pace, left shin giving a bit of grief to start with but got better as I went on and settled in to a rhythm, did 2 loops of the Harrogate UCI circuit on the bike in the pouring rain yesterday so legs were a little tired today after the weeks training.
Didn’t run on Friday as I wanted to give my leg a rest from running so swam in the morning and 1hr riding the Harrogate circuit on Zwift at (even though the actual circuit is less than 10mins ride from my house!!!!) took the day off to watch the UCI cycle race fly past my daughters school with her.
May well just do 5km on Wednesday

TriTom

10.4km @ 4:57/km, legs felt tired at the start as I did an hour on Zwift last night albeit a steady hour with no big efforts.
Shin niggle was barely noticeable and nothing really from halfway onwards.
Think I’ve found the extra 1.5km to make it a 10k loop rather than having to do a little out and back at the end to make up the distance, it not ideal as some of it is country roads with no path, mostly up hill at the start but that does mean it’s mostly down hill on the way back.
Cooler today but still sunny, a couple of degrees less and it would have been ideal (a touch too much wind if I’m being picky).

TriTom

So..... walked the kids to school this morning, cycled on from there to work, got a puncture about 1km from work, fortunately had my trainers in my bag from walking to school so ran the rest of the way with the bike... luckily I’m a triathlete so just counted it as training for a long transition practice.
Anyway, still ran 10.4km at 4:50/km pace, set off feeling really good, light and strong, no leg issues so obviously set off too fast and faded after about 2km at which point I was struggling to slow down without feeling like I was plodding, then the hills came and I felt like I was suffering but refused to walk and refused to take a short cut which would have halved the distance.
Carried on and got to the top of the longest hill so mostly down from there, pushed on a bit as my breathing was feeling good and pushed it to the end as after a bit of down hill started to feel strong again.
Happy with my performance although it was a bit uncertain at times but feel like I could go out and do a flat 45min 10km again and maybe even quicker with more slow consistent training.
Starting to add more cycling in too again.

TriTom

Good run this lunch, slight bit of drizzle and much cooler, 10km @ 4:55/km.
Cycled 45km yesterday with 700m of climbing but legs felt good when I started running, tried not to go out too hard, started to feel tough pretty quickly, nearly did just 5km as after the first hill i was really doubting whether I could/should face the next on which is a 10 minute drag, but I though sod it it’s pretty much all down hill after they climb so steady away up it, no significant niggles in the legs either, felt quite tired at the top but recovered on the long steady down hill back to work and finished feeling a bit tired but relatively strong.
Think I’ll try to Zwift tomorrow night and then try a really slow (5:10+) run on Wednesday.

TriTom

10km at 5:03/km
A lot cooler today with some rain showers and a bit of wind, legs felt a bit tired but I zwifted last night.
Got a new (to me) Garmin 735xt with the wrist hr monitor, not sure if I like the watch, thought I wanted one I can wear all day and be a bit like a smart watch/activity tracker and triathlon watch which this is but, there is no quick release system to be able to put it on to the bike so it’s pretty useless for riding other than tracking all the metrics it I want to be able to see it while riding.
I do miss my 910xt, considering changing it for a 920xt which is technically a down grade and not really all day wearable because it looks like a sports watch, or go next one up to the 935 or fenix.
Anyway, run was good :smile:

TriTom

Lunch 10k at 4:49/km, ran my usual route in reverse and decided to push the last few km.
Felt relatively good, weather was ok.
Ran a fast 2km (3:54/km) straight off the bike after work to meet the wife and kids at swimming lessons, felt good when I looked at that time.
Sent the 735xt watch back, didn’t feel I was getting on with it, still don’t know what to do about a watch now.
I did like that it estimated my race times at what I could run a couple of years ago though, think I could knock out a 45min flat 10km again.

Rule 42

Righhht then. I haven’t run on the road ( unless evading capture ) for over 25 years. But ( for reasons I can’t quite remember ) I’ve agreed to do the London Marathon in 2021, for a charidee, I’ve previously ridden my bike for. So yesterday I went and bought a decent pair of running shoes, and today I got back into the running thing, by running just over 10 Kms.
https://strava.app.link/W5ZT264bJ0
1570891466149.png

The weather was horrendous, and it was more like parkour, than park run ( it wasn’t a park run either ) at some stages, avoiding puddles and pot holes full of water. The shoes saved my ankles ( which was my biggest concern ), and I only got a slight tightening in my right Achilles, in the last half mile, as it was up hill a bit. All in all, I still think I’ll be up to the Marathon, by the time it comes round. I’ve just got to keep going, and gradually up the distances and speed, in the coming months.

Top Bottom