How was your run today?

Drhysted

Righhht then. I haven’t run on the road ( unless evading capture ) for over 25 years. But ( for reasons I can’t quite remember ) I’ve agreed to do the London Marathon in 2021, for a charidee, I’ve previously ridden my bike for. So yesterday I went and bought a decent pair of running shoes, and today I got back into the running thing, by running just over 10 Kms.
https://strava.app.link/W5ZT264bJ0View attachment 113

The weather was horrendous, and it was more like parkour, than park run ( it wasn’t a park run either ) at some stages, avoiding puddles and pot holes full of water. The shoes saved my ankles ( which was my biggest concern ), and I only got a slight tightening in my right Achilles, in the last half mile, as it was up hill a bit. All in all, I still think I’ll be up to the Marathon, by the time it comes round. I’ve just got to keep going, and gradually up the distances and speed, in the coming months.
Well done, welcome back to the dark side. Remember not to do too much too soon, and if you have access to a sports physiotherapist I’d advice seeing them as they may have some core strengthening exercises which could help reduce the risk of injuries.
Most of all enjoy it.

Rule 42

Well done, welcome back to the dark side. Remember not to do too much too soon, and if you have access to a sports physiotherapist I’d advice seeing them as they may have some core strengthening exercises which could help reduce the risk of injuries.
Most of all enjoy it.
My core is pretty strong, I ride big distances on a bike regularly, some more run specific muscles have had more of a workout than is usual for them, and they have let me know. I’ll take it easy to start with, with the running, and get my speed and distances up, as those muscles allow. That’s the plan anyway.

Rule 42

I did my local 10Km route again today. It’s feeling a lot better now that my run specific muscles are getting more accustomed to being used again. I managed to do it about 2 minutes quicker than a couple of weeks ago, and I had lots left in the tank ( leg muscle wise ) than before, and my CV system actually felt like it was starting to be engaged properly, where as before, the leg muscles stiffened up way before I worked up any sort of sweat, and I got back feeling like I hadn’t really done anything, but the legs still let me know I had the following day. It helps that the shoes have ‘broken in’ now.

Attachments

Rule 42

I had a bit of a disaster today. I attempted to push the mileage up a little bit, from a 10K to a 13K run. I decided to use some ‘quieter’ back roads. That was my first error. The lanes may have been ‘quieter’ but when the cars did arrive, they were doing 60mph, and there wasn’t a lot of room. It was like a 13 Km steeple chase, with all the downed tree branches, and floods. Unsurprisingly my ( recently re used ) run muscles really didn’t like that. My right side Achilles heel strained, I tried to run it off, which was my second mistake, then I twisted my left knee, on a squashed conker, which was another mistake. The result is that I’ve got a double sided limp, which is fun fun fun:okay:. To top it off, the Strava went belly up, after 2 miles, so I couldn’t see exactly where the issues happened. Never mind. I’ll rest the injuries for a bit, and see where I am this time next week.

Drhysted

Unfortunately my last event before a 2 month rest didn’t quite go to plan. Just 1 mile into a 10 mile cross country race my right calf started pulling, I just knew by the feel of it that it wouldn’t last the distance so abandoned the race.
Oh well New Years Day will mark my return to training. Next event is the Southampton half in April.

Rule 42

Unfortunately my last event before a 2 month rest didn’t quite go to plan. Just 1 mile into a 10 mile cross country race my right calf started pulling, I just knew by the feel of it that it wouldn’t last the distance so abandoned the race.
Oh well New Years Day will mark my return to training. Next event is the Southampton half in April.
I’ll be doing the Southampton half as well, as long as I don’t injure in the lead up.

Top Bottom