I am not getting any faster

Discussion in 'General Running Discussions' started by WiltshireWonder, Mar 20, 2018.

1. WiltshireWonder

WiltshireWonder Active Member Staff Member

I'm in a bit of a grumpy mood today so forgive the uncharacteristic pessimism....but I'm not getting any faster!

I've been training hard for 9 weeks now. Two weeks (mid-way through) were rubbish due to sickness, but the other seven have been solid. I've upped my mileage by roughly 10 miles/week over this period so my recent four week's miles have been 35 instead of 25 miles. That's a lot for me. I've done hill repeats every week, I've done intervals every week (by effort, rather than pace because it's hilly here). Today I went out for an easy 3 and I managed 10 minute miles which is exactly what i was doing before I started putting this work in.

Am I fooling myself that I'll get any faster? I'm 43, hardly a spring chicken any more.

Is there a point in the training cycle where those heavy legs disappear and things start to feel comfortable and fast? Because I'm not hitting it yet.

2. TriTom

TriTom Regular Member

Are you following a training plan?

3. amasidlover

amasidlover Active Member

The 'received wisdom' is that you 'test' your pace at the end of an easy week - generally 3 weeks hard, 1 week easy is a sensible cycle. It definitely varies from person to person and I find I get slower and slower through hard training and then pick up again after some 'easy' days.

Also, 'test' runs are usually done at a high level of effort - I'm not sure how representative 'easy' runs are.

Its also worth keeping a training diary of some sort that includes how you felt during each run (particularly if it felt particularly good or bad) then you can build up a picture of how quickly you are recovering from blocks of hard training.

There definitely is evidence of a decline over 40 but unless you were already training optimally then you ought to be able to find some gains over the course of a season.

For what its worth I did a test effort on the bike straight after a hard block followed by a week's holiday and was expecting a superb result; in reality I put out loads of effort in the first half, my HR went 'into the red' and I pretty much plodded through the last half giving my worst test result for a long while - 3 weeks later with only 2 easy days before it (instead of a whole week) I got a 'normal' test result again... Some times you just have to accept that it wasn't a good day and one test result is just one result and next time might be different...

WiltshireWonder likes this.
  4. carlp

carlp Regular Member

I don’t think I’m getting any faster either, though the last five proper events I’ve ran I’ve managed to do a PB on each one. Today I did a lumpy 8 miles and after 4.75 miles I struggled. I had to do a run walk, I just couldn’t get going, then I tripped on a step and fell! I don’t know what the feck happened today.

Maybe you need a few days off, I’ve found having a rest can help to get the pace up again. Maybe we’re trying to hard.

WiltshireWonder likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    WiltshireWonder

I have a coach, for the first time. He was recommended by a lady at my running club who I hugely respect.

6. OP
    OP
    WiltshireWonder

Thanks guys. My long run today was the fastest I've done that distance (although hardly impressive) so I am encouraged. I'm going to have two days rest and then run parkrun on Saturday as hard as I can and see what happens.

I'm not as grumpy today...I booked cheap flights to some sunshine at Easter.

StephenR and TriTom like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice