If you could do any race...

Discussion in 'General Running Discussions' started by WiltshireWonder, Dec 3, 2017.

1. WiltshireWonder

WiltshireWonder Active Member Staff Member

...what would it be?

I'm so torn. I want to say something epic like Western States or UTMB but I don't run any further than half-marathons so that would be a bit grandiose.

I'm going to TRY and wangle a trip to Annecy this summer to do the 10-mile Maxi Race so I think that might be it. Mountains, trails, my dream town...if they had a slightly longer version, 13 - 15 miles, that would be perfect.

You???

2. amasidlover

amasidlover Active Member

Snowdon Mountain Marathon - the key barrier being that I can't seem to regularly do runs longer than 20km without getting injured; thus preventing me from attempting anything marathon distance or longer.

At some point when I'm a little older and slower I may spend a season or two just very gently building up my mileage and not doing so much cycling and swimming and see if I can get up to the kind of training distances required without injury.

3. Truth

Truth Regular Member

You should be looking at doing a nice triathlon mate .....

4. OP
    OP
    WiltshireWonder

Is there a Snowdon Half?

5. amasidlover

There is; and a 10km option...

WiltshireWonder likes this.
  6. Flatflr

Flatflr Regular Member

Is that the trail marathon you're referring to, if it is I've done it twice, a great event and now a 40 mile ultra added, as if running up Snowdon isn't hard enough already....

I'd love to be able to do the UTMB, but a bit beyond me now.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  7. amasidlover

That's the one - part of me would quite like to do some marathon / ultras, sadly not my feet, knees or hips; at least one of which always starts lodging complaints when my weekly mileage gets up to around 50km regardless of how much strength training I do or how slowly I build up...

8. OP
    OP
    WiltshireWonder

The half sounds FUN! All the glory, half the pain.

9. Flatflr

Flatflr Regular Member

Even the half is damn hard work, especially the last couple of miles through the slate quarry.

10. Mudrock

Mudrock Regular Member

https://westhighlandwayrace.org/

I would like to do the above race,
    a few years back when I cycled the LEJOG, I saw these crazy runners going for it on the hills, it really inspired me to aim for ultra race event, unfortunately I am still working up to those sort of milage . But I can dream.

WiltshireWonder likes this.
  11. Stig-OT-Dump

Stig-OT-Dump Member

@Mudrock - For shorter ultras on the WHW, there is always the Highland Fling and Devil of the Highlands.
    If you are based in Scotland, have a look at the Scottish Ultra Marathon Series (SUMS) for a number of other good races.

Mudrock likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice