I'm Just Starting Running.

Running Cat

Hello. I'm in my forties. I've cycled all of my life, well ok since I was five.
I'm now getting into running.
Any help and advice would be appreciated!!!
I can walk long distances. At the moment I am walking and running.
I go out for about 30 mins at a time.
I'm getting a real buzz from it.

TriTom

I would say, don't rush to get to the end of a program, if you have a bad session/miss a session don't beat yourself up about it. It's ok to take a break or re-do a session.
Listen to your body and if I needs time off then take it, better to do that than get ill or injured from pushing too hard.

Johnnylewis

I started running 12 weeks ago by doing C25K, cough the bug, also started cycling couple times a week. Last night into week 2 of the 10k programme with zenlabs I pulled this outta the bag.

12 weeks ago I was outta breath going up my stairs. Hated the way I looked and felt.
Screenshot_20181101-202852.png

John the Monkey

Couch to 5k is a great way to start, and forces you to be sensible about ramping up the effort level (something I've struggled with every time I started before).

Also, it's fine to run solo, to no particular end other than those you set for yourself - if events and clubs/groups work for you, that's grand, but don't feel that they are something you should need.

Rundraise

Sure it's been said, but build up nice and steady, don't overdo it and cause an injury..... rookie mistakes I made in the first month of running:
  • Ran too far too quick, went from 0 to 15k in about a month, quickly injured myself. Had strapping in about 5 places at one point!
  • Food/drink before parkrun, why on earth did I think drinking a protein shake BEFORE a parkrun was a good idea?
  • Buying cheap running shoes - budget ones from Sportsdirect... you don't have to spend a fortune to get decent running shoes. New styles can be arond £100, BUT, look for previous versions of those same styles, i.e. the previous year, or the year before that, you can pick up shoes which are practically the same for £30 - £40.
  • Get some proper shorts, don't run in your jean shorts.
https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/training/beginners/a776271/rookie-running-mistakes-from-our-readers/

traceyphillips

Sure it's been said, but build up nice and steady, don't overdo it and cause an injury..... rookie mistakes I made in the first month of running:
  • Ran too far too quick, went from 0 to 15k in about a month, quickly injured myself. Had strapping in about 5 places at one point!
  • Food/drink before parkrun, why on earth did I think drinking a protein shake BEFORE a parkrun was a good idea?
  • Buying cheap running shoes - budget ones from Sportsdirect... you don't have to spend a fortune to get decent running shoes. New styles can be arond £100, BUT, look for previous versions of those same styles, i.e. the previous year, or the year before that, you can pick up shoes which are practically the same for £30 - £40.
  • Get some proper shorts, don't run in your jean shorts.
https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/training/beginners/a776271/rookie-running-mistakes-from-our-readers/
Thank you for this Rundraise! Really helpful stuff! I've just got started in running as i've let myself go a bit haha.

Rule 42

Cycling and running use different muscles, in different ways. Your cycling will have given you a nice strong core, and the C.V. fitness, but you’ll find that if you try to go too long or too hard with the running, at the start, your legs will just grind to a halt, even though you’ve still got plenty ‘in the tank’. You’ll also find that warming up and down / gentle stretching, before and after your run are far more important, when running, to prevent any stiffness / injuries. It’s like everything exercise related really, build up gently, listen to your body, and you’ll be fine. As you get into it, you’ll find certain things that you do, because of the way your body is, during running, can be helped, by certain additions, selection of your kit, that will enhance your running, and make it more comfortable. As with cycling, there are ways / techniques, that will make your running more comfortable / efficient and enjoyable, that you’ll learn, or pick up along the way. The main thing ( for now ) is that you’re enjoying it, without that, it’s difficult to keep anything going. Good luck with it, keep it up:okay:.

Top Bottom