Is Cavin Woodward the greatest 100 mile runner, ever?

Discussion in 'General Running Discussions' started by Redbadger, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Redbadger

Redbadger Regular Member Staff Member

I stumbled across this old report of Cavin Woodward's epic run and thought it might be of interest.

Can you imagine doing two and a half hour marathon and still having 74 miles to go? Check out the speed comparison with Kharitonov, Ritchie and Kouros:

http://www.roadrunnersclub.org.uk/do...eatest_100.pdf

Imanurse likes this.
  2. Nessie

Nessie New Member

What a fascinating read! I can't claim to have an opinion on whether he is the greatest 100 mile runner, but anyone who can run round a track for 100 miles is great in my book, whetever their speed! A sub 2:30 marathon is incomprehensible in itself never mind, as you say, before the other 74 miles.

I was reading recently about a challence William Sichel has set himself - setting 750 Ultra running records (including age graded ones - he is 64 after all). It's worth having a look at his website.

3. WiltshireWonder

WiltshireWonder Active Member Staff Member

There are some pretty awesome 100-milers these days...Rob Krar, Scott Jurek in his time and Kilian Jornet who's my personal favourite. But running round a track for 100 miles?

4. pubrunner

pubrunner New Member

A 100 miles ? I did a 3,000m once and that was enough.

Some folk have the mindset to cope with numerous laps on the track - and some actually like it. A friend of mine ran for Salford Harriers in the 90s and his 10 mile pb (under 50 minutes) was done on the track.

5. WiltshireWonder

WiltshireWonder Active Member Staff Member

I can't fathom that. I thoroughly enjoy a bit of track pain but we're talking 800's (I think I did a 1600 once). But I totally respect those who use the track for longer distances.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice