Jogger’s Nipple or Runner's Nipple - What is it? - Symptoms - Causes - Treatment

Discussion in 'Health, Fitness and Injuries' started by Redbadger, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Redbadger

Redbadger Regular Member Staff Member

What is it?
    Jogger’s nipple (or runner's nipple) is common in runners. It happens when nipples are irritated by rubbing against clothing which moves up and down as you run.

Symptoms
    Runner's nipple can be very painful and affect one or both nipples. Common symptoms of jogger’s nipple include:
    • Irritation
    • Soreness
    • Redness of the skin
    • Dryness
    If the nipple is irritated for a long period it may crack and bleed.

Causes
    Runner's nipple is common in women who run without a bra and men who wear shirts that are made of coarse material such as cotton. It is also more likely to occur in colder months when the nipple is hard or more prominent.

Treatments
    A short rest from running will prevent further irritation and help your nipple heal. You can use an antiseptic cream on your nipple to treat the irritation and prevent infection. Vasaline will also help to prevent further irritation.

Do
    • Apply an anti-chafing balm or petroleum jelly, such as Vasaline, to your nipples prior to exercise.
    • Apply a waterproof adhesive bandage, or surgical tape over each nipple before exercise to act as a barrier between skin and cloth.
    • If you are a woman, wear a soft fibre and seamless bra.
    • If you are a man wear tops made from soft material.
    • Wear a sports bra, shimmel, compression vest, or some variety of chest binding clothing.
    Don’t
    • Wear tops made of coarse material.
    • Use a large, loose-fitting T-shirt during exercise.

2. runner

runner Member

Vaseline liberally spread works for me every time :smile:

Truth and Redbadger like this.
  3. Drhysted

Drhysted Regular Member

Body glide for me if I’m doing anything over 6 miles.

Redbadger likes this.
  4. carlp

carlp Regular Member

Never had it.

Redbadger likes this.
  5. TriTom

TriTom Regular Member

Remember having bleeding nips when I first did 13 miles, I wore a rugby shirt which although was a newer style technical top it was quite thick and not designed for distance.
    Don't get it nowadays as I use lighter technical t shirts, sometimes a little sore if I do a lot longer distance than I've done in a while and it's cold.

6. Truth

Truth Regular Member

Run topless :laugh:

Redbadger likes this.
  7. runner

runner Member

difficult to do on winter :smile: Vaseline is the perfect solution just got myself a new tub today smeared liberally and went for 90mins run..lovely jubbly

Truth likes this.
  8. Truth

Truth Regular Member

Massive fan of Vaseline myself ! ☺

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice