Low heart rate training worth it?

lovetorunning

I'm a 20 year old female who has played sport and run in some form for most of my life. Recently I've started to train a bit more seriously with the aim of getting my 5k time down. I'm currently doing 45-50km a week over 6 days (with 2-3 long runs, 1-2 speed sessions and some other tempo/progression runs). My 5k PB is around 22mins which I'm fairly happy with but would like to aim for <20 mins eventually. However, I've recently started tracking my heart rate during runs with my Garmin watch and am quite surprised how high my heart rate gets even on 'easy' runs. At my threshold pace of about 4.30min/km my heart rate is average 180-190bpm and even at 5.30 min/km around 160bpm. Compared to some of my good running friends who are admittedly much better- they are able to run 4.30min/km pace at a heart rate of around 150 bpm which seems pretty unthinkable for me! I'm wondering whether low heart rate training is worth it to try and build a strong aerobic base or should I just continue as I am? I've done 2 runs the last few days staying in the 'easy' zone but I can only go 8.0 min/km max before my heart rate shoots over 150bpm- should I persevere bearing in mind I would find it difficult to sustain a mileage of 50km a week at such a slow pace as it would inevitably mean me spending almost double the time training? Or is there any benefit to doing a mix of low heart rate training and speed sessions/tempo runs? Any advice would be much appreciated

stephec

I've just started the same type of thing after reading a book called 80/20 Running by Matt Fitzgerald.

It gets good reviews on some Facebook groups, but like you say it does feel strange.

I've struggled with little niggles over the past year and this is supposed to reduce the chances of injury, so I'll give it three months and see how it goes.

dmagnin

I'm a 20 year old female who has played sport and run in some form for most of my life. Recently I've started to train a bit more seriously with the aim of getting my 5k time down. I'm currently doing 45-50km a week over 6 days (with 2-3 long runs, 1-2 speed sessions and some other tempo/progression runs). My 5k PB is around 22mins which I'm fairly happy with but would like to aim for <20 mins eventually. However, I've recently started tracking my heart rate during runs with my Garmin watch and am quite surprised how high my heart rate gets even on 'easy' runs. At my threshold pace of about 4.30min/km my heart rate is average 180-190bpm and even at 5.30 min/km around 160bpm. Compared to some of my good running friends who are admittedly much better- they are able to run 4.30min/km pace at a heart rate of around 150 bpm which seems pretty unthinkable for me! I'm wondering whether low heart rate training is worth it to try and build a strong aerobic base or should I just continue as I am? I've done 2 runs the last few days staying in the 'easy' zone but I can only go 8.0 min/km max before my heart rate shoots over 150bpm- should I persevere bearing in mind I would find it difficult to sustain a mileage of 50km a week at such a slow pace as it would inevitably mean me spending almost double the time training? Or is there any benefit to doing a mix of low heart rate training and speed sessions/tempo runs? Any advice would be much appreciated

dmagnin

I love your goals:smile: I have been running for over 50 years and tons of miles. My heart rate is mid 30's at rest. I have a free running book and tons of free advice. I love to give it out. I am currently 68 and training from my 57th marathon, maybe a world record? ;). I posted a bit on new members here............. how about sneak on some more easy fun miles to start with.
Cheers Dale (attached book if you have any interest?)

Attachments

Top Bottom