marathon training

Discussion in 'General Training and Racing Discussion' started by darts180, Sep 22, 2018.

1. darts180

darts180 New Member

hi could I ask, instead of doing an 18mile ish training run all in one go, could you do several shorter runs 5 to 6 miles each day, does that count? I like to think at the end of the week if your total weekly milage is high then your body will be strong on marathon day yeah. I think some people will do long runs so the body adapts and recovers and gets the benefits from it. it's just I hear that elite runners rarely go past 16miles in training for the day as they can carry themselves through the last 10miles easily on the day. so really what I'm asking is do 5 mile or so runs actually count yeah thanks.

2. TriTom

TriTom Active Member

Double run days are definitely a thing in long distance triathlon training to get the miles up.
    Faster session in the morning when the legs are fresh then slow session in the evening or 1 slow morning and 1 slow evening.

3. OP
    OP
    darts180

darts180 New Member

thanks for the reply, I did a 21 mile training run something like 2650 elevation and a mixture of roads and trails, I like to think that helps. on marathon day I knocked 20 minutes off last year's time so I'm rather pleased. I think next year I'll just do shorter long runs to see if that helps.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice