Recommend me a running log app

Discussion in 'General Training and Racing Discussion' started by Mudrock, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Mudrock

Mudrock Regular Member

Hi
    After all these years I've been recorded my running stats on good old pen and paper.
    But I think it's time to catch up to date and start logging my runs on my iPhone.
    But which one?
    So any helpful advice will be welcomed.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  2. Steve

Steve Regular Member Staff Member

I've tried runkeeper, mapmyrun but now use Strava (with Garmin connect)

Mudrock likes this.
  3. WiltshireWonder

WiltshireWonder Active Member Staff Member

I'm new on Strava and I do quite like it but it took a load of hassle to get set up (which might be due to my luddite tendencies).

Mudrock likes this.
  4. john59

john59 Regular Member

I've been using the free Strava since 2009 for cycling & running and would recommend it. You can get further stats etc using this chrome add-on, StravistiX for Strava!

Mudrock likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Mudrock

Mudrock Regular Member

Thanks for your replies,
    I have Strava and now gone premium,
    My problem is, I am increasing my weekly mileage but I don’t to over do it, so how do I keep track of things and set a new weekly target?

6. john59

john59 Regular Member

You could use something like, My Asics, to create a training plan!

7. OP
    OP
    Mudrock

Mudrock Regular Member

Interesting
    Not heard of that , and I always buy Asics.

Off to check out the site
    Cheers

8. amasidlover

amasidlover Active Member

The received wisdom is to do 3 weeks of increasing mileage by max 10% per week (with no single run getting more than 10% longer, i.e., don't add all 10% to your long run if you do a weekend long run...) then do a week of 50-60% of your 3rd weeks mileage (to recover), then repeat but starting the first week of the next 3 building mileage weeks at the same mileage as the last of the previous 3.

However... Some people can cope with more mileage build than this (lucky them) and others can't (like me) - if you're starting to pick up niggles that don't disappear during the rest week then that's a good sign to back off a bit.

Also if you start throwing in speed work and hills then the 10% rule is completely useless and you need to be much more conservative or use a 'training volume' / 'training load' measure and get specific advice on sensible % increases - I think Strava Premium does now have a training load feature, but I've not used it myself; TrainingPeaks (which I use) has 'ramp rates' which are reported on your home page and their are suggested maximums for those.

9. OP
    OP
    Mudrock

Mudrock Regular Member

Thanks

My old plan was to do RPE (Rate of Perceived Exertion)× the time, for each run, then add all the daily run totals together, which gives a weekly total, then add 10% increase to the total, to give a new week target.

Does that make sense? It's easy on paper

I like your plan but i would like an app to sort all this out for me,and I would like to see a graph or two.

I need to spend a bit time looking at Strava.
    Thanks for tips

10. amasidlover

amasidlover Active Member

Yes - that's pretty sensible; I'd suggest adding in an occasional 'rest' week (50-60% of previous weeks' volume - RPExTIME) - again, the received wisdom is every 4th week, but that varies from individual to individual.

Mudrock likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice