Running on holiday

Discussion in 'General Running Discussions' started by Steve, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Steve

Steve Regular Member Staff Member

Do you take your running gear with you when you go on holiday, or is it a case of "I'm having a total break and that includes running"?

I nearly always take mine and will get out a couple of times or more, when I'm somewhere hot I'll get up early now and again to get out even though I'm not normally an early riser.

Helps compensate for the additional beer and food I consume!

Edit: Typo

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    Bucky and Mudrock like this.
  2. The Rover

The Rover Member

I went running most days whilst in Spain in late July. We stayed with friends out in the sticks so it was really really hilly which made for some challenging runs and every other day I drove the car onto the front ( ( a 15 min drive ) so I could run along the beach line. Had to get out early due to the heat as you've said but it both kick started my day and made sure I didn't over do the beer at night. Still had a great time without getting leg less every night*. The people we went with thought I was daft but then I'm not massively over weight like them!

I'll be taking my kit on every holiday in future. Also hired a bike and met up via FB with a English bloke who runs a cycling community page who showed me some great routes, in fact it was the best days cycling I've had.

* Im bit of a hypocrite as I used to over do it when I was younger and we didn't have a kid to look after!

Bucky, Mudrock and Steve like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Steve

You also get to see the sun rise

IMG_20170613_060243_857.jpg

Bucky, sandra6, Mudrock and 1 other person like this.
  4. Mudrock

Mudrock Regular Member

Oh yes, every time,
    It's amazing how refreshing running away from home is.
    I am lucky, my OH takes ages getting ready first thing in the morning, she gives me time to go and do 3 to 4 miles jog before breakfast.

In two weeks time we are in Brighton and Eastbourne, can't wait to run along the sea front, ah smell:wub:

Bucky and Steve like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Steve

Wrap up warm (or run fast)..!

Mudrock likes this.
  6. Yes - did some amazing runs in the Lake District and Wales. You have to be aware of the different terrain though, a Lakes 5k can take a lot longer than a Cheshire 5k :smile:

Bucky and Steve like this.
  7. amasidlover

amasidlover Active Member

I love running on holiday; its a great way to explore - and even has the advantage of finding interesting places to take my spouse and children on occasion.

This year I've run in Copenhagen in February; quite cold, but very nice - although there was one alarming run in a snow storm along a beach / spit where I couldn't clearly differentiate path and sea! Pont-du-Gard in Provence - lovely, nice hills and warm. Derbyshire a few times and the New Forest - both beautiful places to take to the trails and paths.

John the Monkey, Bucky and Steve like this.
  8. WiltshireWonder

WiltshireWonder Active Member Staff Member

We were lucky enough to travel across the US this year (plus a bit of Oz, Montreal and Iceland). I ran everywhere and it was amazing but Colorado was the best, despite the lack of oxygen!
    IMG_5558.JPG

carlp, John the Monkey, Bucky and 2 others like this.
  9. WiltshireWonder

WiltshireWonder Active Member Staff Member

Sorry, that is a big photo. It's bigger than me, actually. No idea how to shrink me.

10. Bucky

Bucky Regular Member

A guy I used to work with said going for a run is the best way to see a new place. I admit I thought he was mental at the time but since getting into running I see his point.

I've regretted not taking my running stuff on my last 2 holidays, so from now on I'll be packing it just in case the mood takes me.

11. Drhysted

Drhysted Regular Member

As I either go to the wilds of Scotland or North Yorkshire, yes my running gear always travels with me.

Steve likes this.
  12. Flatflr

Flatflr Regular Member

I'll run when I'm on holiday, even went for a run on the day off from a cycling holiday in Mallorca.

Mudrock and Steve like this.
  13. TriTom

TriTom Active Member

I like running so it only makes sense that I should enjoy it whilst I'm off work after all holiday is leisure time, and it's exciting to run somewhere new that you might not go to again.
    Bit annoying when you get a Strava KOM on holiday but then can't defend it ha ha, not that that happens often :sad:

Mudrock and Flatflr like this.
  14. part time runner

part time runner New Member

the running gear is the first thing to go in the suitcase, i will get up early every morning, go and run along the promenade, come back get a shower and put the coffee on, and be ready for when my family arise and we go to breakfast... it is awesome and sets you up for the day...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice