Running or jogging?

Discussion in 'General Running Discussions' started by sandra6, Nov 21, 2017.

1. sandra6

sandra6 New Member

How do you know the difference?
    Technically speaking, if both your feet are off the ground at the same time you're running. Obviously you could just be jumping up and down, but you know what I mean.
    I don't actually know what my feet are doing in relation to each other, I'm more concerned with not falling over.
    I don't run fast, about a 10minute mile average, so am I just jogging?
    When I watched Eddie Izzard do his marathon challenge he was definitely moving slower than I can walk, yet he was "running" or was he?!
    I don't think it really matters, I was just curious what others thought and if there's a certain pace that equates to running rather than jogging in your mind.
    Feel free to use this thread to show off your speeds :okay:

2. WiltshireWonder

WiltshireWonder Active Member Staff Member

I don't think it matters much either, but some people get super-irate about the whole thing. For me, it's about purpose. If you just run occasionally without any real goal or plan in mind, you might be a jogger. If you run with purpose (no matter the speed) and regularly, you're probably a runner. I think it's about the mentality.

I always cringe when newsreaders mention a 'jogger' because I bet that person is yelling 'runner' at the TV screen :smile:

sandra6 and Stephenite like this.
  3. Bucky

Bucky Regular Member

I've always had in my head as jogging is a form of running, just as sprinting is. In my mind there is no minimum pace required to be seen as running.

As you say if you have both feet off the floor you're running.

If one foots always in contact with the ground you're walking, speed wise walking can be anything from a gentle stroll up to the Olympic sport of racewalking! Which isn't my cup of tea for a spectator sport but each to their own and their times can be impressive.

Whether I see someone as a runner depends on how frequently they run. If the only running they do is for the occasional bus they're not a runner but if they run on say average once or more per week they're a runner to me whether it's jogging or something more intense. :smile:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    sandra6 and Truth like this.
  4. Flatflr

Flatflr Regular Member

I did actually look this up after a discussion.

From what I can remember the technical difference is that running is 10 mins per mile and under, a jogging is more.

As far as I'm concerned, it's that the person is out there doing it is all that's important.

sandra6 and WiltshireWonder like this.
  5. amasidlover

amasidlover Active Member

Personally I don't care, however, I generally (although not always) find jogging is used by someone who was sat on a sofa/in a car while you were out enjoying your jog and running is used by someone who also runs ;)

sandra6, WiltshireWonder and Bucky like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice