Running with anxiety

HarlequinMKD

New to the forum here.
I'm 39yo male, been active all my life, but I got into running for the past 5-6 years.
I usually run 3-4 times p/w around 6-6.5km at a 5:50 per km aprox pace.
I don't have any health issues (not that I know of) but been fighting anxiety for some time now. Which leads me to my point :smile:
Due to the panic attacks, where normally the pulse is elevated, I started to associate same with my running/exercises.
I got a Garmin Forerunner 235 just to be able to control my HR, as I was affraid I might get a heart attack if itngoes too high. However, I get a bit anxious from timw to timw when running. As soon as I see my hr goes over 160, I slow down, and then I get upset because I know its all in my head and I can do much better.
My question is, should elevated hr frighten me, or not?
For ex today was a bit warm, i went for a run but my average was 160bmp for 6.50 av pace.
And I immediately got anxious thinking something is wrong with my heart as I run slow but still get elevated hr. But in principle, it feels like Im nkt running, not getting tired.

Sorry for the long post

TriTom

Try looking at the Maffetone program, after a while of fowllowing that apparently it allows you to run faster at lower heart rates.
I really should try it as whenever I run my heart rate is sky high and I just don’t have the time/discipline to follow the program and run slow (not that I’m a particularly quick runner).
I wouldn’t say 160 is particularly high.

Top Bottom