Should you leave a blister to heal on its own or should you pick or burst a blister?

Discussion in 'Health, Fitness and Injuries' started by Tennersee, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Tennersee

Tennersee Member

This is one of those chat around the table things that came up in the pub, with a few people saying you should leave a blister (not pick or burst it) and let it heal on its own, and others saying you should burst it and pick the skin off the top so it can get some air and heal up.

So what's the best way to deal with a good sized blister?

2. Imanurse

Imanurse New Member

Medical advice is generally not to burst a blister yourself and not to peal or pick at the edges of a burst one; instead cover the blister until it heals, and if it naturally bursts, drain it before applying the dressing - but don't peal the skin off: https://beta.nhs.uk/conditions/blisters/ :okay:

DIMHIKT (Don't ask me how I know that!) :whistle:

3. Aliceband

Aliceband New Member

OMG I absolutely LOVE POPPING BLISTERS!!! I know, I know, you shouldn't, but I just can't resist and definitely can't leave one sealed once I've found it. :giggle:

Come here ... :ninja:

Nessie and Couch Potato like this.
  4. Couch Potato

Couch Potato New Member

Must admit, I find it hard to resist squishing them too, but I never take the loose skin off as there's not such thing as "airing" an open wound (which is basically what it is). Keep it covered with a proper dressing until it heals over.

5. WiltshireWonder

WiltshireWonder Active Member Staff Member

6. Fresh Start

Fresh Start Member

Funny how many "poppers" there are - me too. :smile:

7. Steve

Steve Regular Member Staff Member

I'm in the pop it camp too, if I leave em then I can't run as they are too uncomfortable!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice