The National Running Show

Discussion in 'The Clubhouse' started by WiltshireWonder, Jan 21, 2018.

1. WiltshireWonder

WiltshireWonder Active Member Staff Member

Yesterday, we drove 2 hrs up to Birmingham to go to the National Running Show. This was the first one that's been held and I think it takes a lot of courage to try something new and the organisers should be applauded. There was a lot they got right and a lot they can improve for 2019. Here are some thoughts.

What they got right
    * Excellent speakers. Jo Pavey, Kelly Holmes plus a number of well-known speakers from social media.
    * Lots of people came. Probably the majority were hobby joggers (of which I am definitely one), there were fewer speedy looking people, but it was a decent mix.
    * Sign language interpreters for the presentations. Excellent move.
    * Free tickets via UKRunChat
    * Some strength training/yoga type things in the middle with sessions held throughout the day.

What they can improve
    * The room was too small. It was crowded. They could have doubled the space (although clearly they had no idea for this first year). Some stands were so cramped I just didn't bother looking. Stands needed to be bigger and less densely packed in.
    * Not many opportunties to buy stuff. Big expos I've been to in the US had loads of big stands selling discounted clothing, there were very very few of these yesterday. I was surprised at how little opportunity there was to spend money.
    * Gait analysis booked up in a heartbeat. You needed to be there at opening to get a slot.
    * The Run Cafe was tiny
    * Surprising lack of brands there. Only Hoka and Saucony. No fitbit/garmin/suunto. Only Up and Running, no other running stores.
    * Kelly Holmes was on at 9am until 10am. Lots of people travelled to the show and most people arrived at 10-ish (including us) meaning we missed their big star. That was a shame.

On the whole, I'm not sure it was worth driving 4 hours in the driving rain and then the snow but it was a good day out on a day when otherwise I would have sat indoors being fed up! Next year they have Paula Radcliffe and I know I'll be going to see her speak.

Tennersee and Redbadger like this.
  2. TriTom

TriTom Active Member

That's good feedback, is there a facility to be able to pass that in to the organisers directly.
    I've wanted to go the Tri expos but I feel like they might just be like one big sales pitch as triathletes 'need' a lot of expensive, state of the art gear, so it's interesting to hear that you struggled to spend money.

3. OP
    OP
    WiltshireWonder

WiltshireWonder Active Member Staff Member

My husband was delighted!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice