The old days...

Discussion in 'General Running Discussions' started by runner, Nov 9, 2017.

1. runner

runner Member

As a runner of some 40 years and still jogging along in my 60's I do so miss the times you could turn up at a race and just enter. Prices were rarely more than £10, and I remember paying £6.50 for the Bath Half many years ago. The latest entry fee is £43, of course naturally it is run by a company eager to "stuff" as many participants on the start line as they can. I appreciate that with changes in H & S and the introduction of the chip and the requirement to have lots of police and first aid etc....then it is natural for the price to be relatively high. I still pay the price (which of course can work out as many £100's) yet sometimes I miss those fun carefree days of low prices and the ability to role up and enter.....

pubrunner likes this.
  2. amasidlover

amasidlover Active Member

Fell running is still cheap and entry on the day - most races are still less than £5! You get a race number, safety pins and enthusiastic volunteers!

John the Monkey likes this.
  3. WiltshireWonder

WiltshireWonder Active Member Staff Member

We've been back in the UK for a few months now and I'm staggered at how cheap races are compared to in California. You'd be looking at 30 quid for a 5k minimum and 60 easily for a decent-sized half-marathon. The race I'm doing next week was 8 quid with the opportunity to give more for the Wiltshire Air Ambulance. I think you just have to pick your races wisely, bargains are still out there.

4. OP
    OP
    runner

runner Member

got a bad habit of tripping whilst descending :sad:

5. sandra6

sandra6 New Member

It's not just the cost, for "big" events even getting a place can be a mission.
    I was surprised recently when a local club advertised a run along a local cycle path with a price tag of £10. I'm not sure where the money goes as the marshalls are all volunteers.

6. Truth

Truth Regular Member

Stourbridge Stagger , the first week in Feb every year , is the best value race I do. 10 mile mixed (very!) terrain race for £12 (£10 if affiliated) and you get a towel for finishing :smile:

pubrunner and Steve like this.
  7. amasidlover

amasidlover Active Member

Having organised similar events; you're looking at £200 insurance (even for a small event), water is about 50p a bottle, promotional materials, cable ties, signs etc. vary quite a lot depending on what you're doing, but can quickly get it in to the low hundreds - councils will often charge (our local council charges £60-£200 depending on event) if you're using their parks etc. to start and finish on. So if you're running a small event and only expect 50-100 runners then you may need to charge £5-10 just to break even.

Of course FRA / EA events probably get subsidised (free?) insurance and clubs that do events regularly (and thus have all the signage etc) and if you can find a friendly venue to start/finish at who are happy to do it free then you can get down to the £2-£3 that fell runs cost.

But I do find it completely baffling how an event with thousands of runners can justify charge £40+ for a road run.

Bucky, Truth and Steve like this.
  8. pubrunner

pubrunner New Member

Yay - I did the Stagger about 15 years ago - just got under 69 minutes, which I was happy with on that course.

9. pubrunner

pubrunner New Member

I've done loads of great fell races and there are some excellent ones near Gatley - Boar's Head race, Shining Tor, Shuttlingsloe, Crown Derby, Tegg's Nose, Rainow, Kinder Downfall, Congleton Cloud Nine - done all of these and most, quite a few times. Some great ones here in Shropshire too !

amasidlover likes this.
  10. Truth

Truth Regular Member

Great time!
    This year will be the 27th one so they are doing something right :smile::okay:

pubrunner likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice