Training or just running?

Discussion in 'General Running Discussions' started by sandra6, Nov 19, 2017.

1. sandra6

sandra6 New Member

Are you just going out for a run or are you actually training for something? If so, what?
    Personally I think it's an overused phrase, by cyclists too, who aren't actually training for anything.
    So, I'm just someone who runs, like I'm just someone who rides a bike.
    How about you?

Bucky likes this.
  2. Drhysted

Drhysted Regular Member

I run because I enjoy it. It boosts my body and clears my mind, but It could be said that all running is training.

3. Steve

Steve Regular Member Staff Member

Currently running to keep /improve fitness, when I enter an event then I'll tailor the training to it.

4. Mudrock

Mudrock Regular Member

I have two main goals when I run,
    The main one is to better my times for a park run , and the second one , is to maintain a weekly mileage of 30+ A week.

So it’s a kind of a training,but with a focus on enjoyment. Like mixing the up the pace, routes and terrain.

Like tonight’s run was only 3 miles, but done after a 12 hour shift and in the dark, as I forgot my lights, but a great way to complete the day, with a smile.

Steve likes this.
  5. stephec

stephec Member

When I go out I usually have a specific goal in mind, x miles at y pace, a set of intervals, etc.

Even if I'm not looking towards a particular event I'm still trying to improve on previous times.

6. amasidlover

amasidlover Active Member

I train most of the year with a week or two 'off' after each key race - when I'm training I actually have a schedule of runs that are balanced so as to ensure enough recovery time between the hard runs. However, when I'm not training I'll just run when and as I feel with no schedule - most will be easy but some will be hard, but they'll all just be what I feel like doing on the day...

7. Flatflr

Flatflr Regular Member

Bit of both, I like running and generally getting out of the house (running, walking, cycling) but I'll also be training for any events that I have planned, although I'm not competitive.

8. WiltshireWonder

WiltshireWonder Active Member Staff Member

At the moment I'm just 'running' but as of Monday I start training. I think 'training' has a focus and a goal and I have a 10-miler in February that I really want to crush. I think training involves different types of run and a plan to peak at a certain moment. I love just going out for a run but I'm really excited to start training hard.

Mudrock likes this.
  9. TriTom

TriTom Active Member

If it's just for fun then it's just running but if it is to improve either fitness or speed/endurance whether you have an event planned or not then it's training.
    In short if you are measuring results with a view to improve then it's training.

Flatflr likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice