Training through a heavy cold / flu?

Discussion in 'Health, Fitness and Injuries' started by Couch Potato, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Couch Potato

Couch Potato New Member

Would you normally carry on training through a heavy cold or take a few days off until it passes? Would training with a heavy cold do you more harm than good, in the sense that it might cause you to take longer to recover?

2. Nessie

Nessie New Member

General rule is if it's above the neck, you can train, but if it's below the neck, rest. However, not being able to breathe properly makes training miserable, so I tend to just take a break and lick my wounds. As much rest as possible, with plenty of fluids and paracetamol if needed is the best way to help your body fight off the cold.

Mudrock, John the Monkey and Steve like this.
  3. WiltshireWonder

WiltshireWonder Active Member Staff Member

If I have a cold, I tend to go out for a slow, steady trundle....no speed work, no hill repeats. But below the neck is horrible. I think I had mild pneumonia at the start of the year (my son had it, I was pretty rough too) and I really regret running sadly and slowly through it.

4. Steve

Steve Regular Member Staff Member

Have had the dreaded lurgy all week and have not gotten out at all, well apart from walking the dogs, just didn't feel up to it.

Feeling slow and heavy, it seems to be shifting a bit so hopefully I'll be back out at the weekend or very early next week.

5. amasidlover

amasidlover Active Member

Any sign of a fever and I stop until recovered - I struggle a bit with the 'below the neck' rule since, with asthma, even the slightest cold always has a slightly phlegmy element.

6. Flatflr

Flatflr Regular Member

I've been advised by few people (RAF PTI, Cardiac Rehab Instructor and a Cardiac Nurse) not to train with a cold and let the body deal with that before adding any other load on the system. As for flu, if it's a real flu you wouldn't be wanting to run anyway.

Plus I done like getting snot over my running kit..

7. Truth

Truth Regular Member

Its a personal thing but I just carry on , soldier on through and take it.
    Probably a stupid thing to do but thats just me.....

8. WiltshireWonder

WiltshireWonder Active Member Staff Member

This is pertinent...I've fallen foul of the old cold.

I'm taking a day off tomorrow, then keeping it easy for a few days until I feel better. Nothing hard. But my run club has track on Wendesday and I am going to be there to smash it!

9. Mudrock

Mudrock Regular Member

This is what I am doing.
    atm
    It's been 10 days so far,
    I shall wait another 3 days before I do any running but I shall go for an easy cycle ride tomorrow just to see how I feel.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice