Treadmill - is it worth getting one and what to look for?

Discussion in 'Running Gear and Equipment' started by Tennersee, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Tennersee

Tennersee Member

Do any of you own and use a treadmill? I'm wondering if it might improve motivation if I don't have to run outside in the cold and dark.

What should you look out for and what is a good budget for a reasonably good and reliable treadmill?

Also, are they really noisy? Would I be able to put the TV on and watch it whilst using a treadmill without waking the whole street up?

Redbadger likes this.
  2. Drhysted

Drhysted Regular Member

I have one but haven’t used it for many months because I prefer to run outside (I tend to refer to it as the dreadmill).
    It is better if you are recovering as it has some cushioning, but it is noisy. You have the noise of the motor which isn’t too bad, then the pounding noise of your feet (I never realised how much noise I make), then you need a fan to try and reduce the amount of sweat you create when running indoors without any breeze.
    Mine has been banished to the bottom of s very long garden, however it’s location means I can have music as loud as I like.

Tennersee likes this.
  3. WiltshireWonder

WiltshireWonder Active Member Staff Member

We got one at Christmas and it's been useful, primarily on the days when the weather is really horrible or my husband is out, I've got our son and I can't get outside to run. I can't deny that I would much MUCH rather run outside in nearly any weather conditions (ice/driving rain/sleet being the exception) but it's a really useful tool and I've watched some fun movies on it.

We got this one, it folds up fairly well and is easy-ish to move around the house. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00FOSGRH8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you have the TV on whilst you're on it, it's pretty loud in the house (the TV, not the treadmill) but we use the ipad and headphones.

Tennersee likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Tennersee

Tennersee Member

Thanks for the info. I did some checking, window shopping, and reading of other people's experiences and whilst some people use them all the time as part of their gym workouts, a surprising number of people who bought them seemed to get bored of using them at home quite quickly.

With spring approaching (allegedly) it's likely I'll want to be outside too, so I'll probably just get a gym membership for a few months next winter to get through the cold and dark months as that'll probably work out cheaper.

5. WiltshireWonder

Mine freaked out tonight. I was doing speed work and on the second time I cranked it up, it kept getting faster and faster till I had to pull the emergency cord...and then it refused to work. Grrr...

6. OP
    OP
    Tennersee

Tennersee Member

Scary!

7. WiltshireWonder

My husband fixed it - the buttons got jammed. Phew ;) Probably looked quite comedy as my legs got faster and faster

8. BarneyBunch

BarneyBunch New Member

I'm a little late to this thread, but I figured I would give some pointers on getting a new treadmill in case anybody still needs some advice.

I've been looking around for a treadmill and asking some different forums for advice. First, If you are renting and don't own the place you live at, then check with your landlord to see if you can even have treadmills. If that's not an issue then research online for the type and model of treadmill you want. I've been reading up on www.treadmillreviews.com since they have a lot of details in their reviews, like sound measurements to know how loud a treadmill can be if you are still worried about the sound.

After knowing which treadmill model you want, you will probably want to shop around and see if you can find the best price for it. Arguably, the best price for treadmills would be craigslist. With craigslist though you should probably put some time and effort into inspecting the treadmill first hand before buying it. Sometimes the treadmills on craigslist need parts replace, so make sure you look into that if necessary. If you don't want to go the used route, then try to find some deals online or at a local retailer for the model you want. I, personally, decided to go with a NordicTrack treadmill and found this NordicTrack Coupon Website to save a little on a new treadmill. New treadmills are expensive, but they typically last longer than buying used. If you wait around for typical holiday deals (Black Friday, Cyber Monday) then you can usually find new treadmills for pretty cheap compared to the normal new treadmill price.

It does seem like you enjoy running outside (which many runners do) in which case I would probably not recommend a treadmill unless you think you will use it for years and years to come. Treadmills are nice for convenience and being able to run when the weather is bad. Unless you use them multiple times a week though they seem to be only worth it when they are thought of as really long term investments.

Sorry for the long post, but I've spend quite a bit of time asking around and looking up treadmills. Hopefully this information can be useful to you (or anyone) looking for treadmills.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice