Very high heart rate at beginning of run

Christie

Hello,
I’m 38, F, and consider myself to be in very good shape. My most recent 5k time this summer was 23:24 last summer. I just got a Whoop monitor a few months ago to track my health and recovery. My heart rate resting is around 40 bpm and HRV around 100 average. I recently started a training plan that is a pretty aggressive 5k training plan where I’m training on average 5-6 days a week and putting in almost an hour total per session. I noticed that my heart rate is spiking right at the beginning of every run. It goes as high as 190 sometimes. Today was an “easy” run and I tried my hardest to literally shuffle the beginning of the run and go really slow. It still spiked! In fact, it was only AFTER I decided to pick up the pace and then settle back into a comfortable pace that my heart went down to about 160-170, and stayed there for the entirety of my easy run. At no point was I uncomfortable or winded. The odd thing is, on the days when I really push myself, I feel like my heart rate is also in this range of 180-190, albeit for longer. The current amount of running on this program is more running than I usually do, but not more working out. I was doing a lot more functional training this winter. And my heart didn’t go up this high on a regular basis - and I felt like that kind of training was very intense. Any explanations for this? It’s just very frustrating because I don’t know if I should be concerned for my heart, and I really can’t go any slower.

Top Bottom