Virtual Races (virtualrunneruk.com) - Pay to enter and portion to charity. Anyone tried this?

Discussion in 'General Training and Racing Discussion' started by Redbadger, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Redbadger

Redbadger Regular Member Staff Member

Saw this on another site - www.virtualrunneruk.com you pay to join a race, run in your own time, submit your times to the site, and some of your payment goes to charity.

Not sure how people will feel about it - surely the point of entering a race is to be with other runners and to pace yourself against people around and in front of you?

2. amasidlover

amasidlover Active Member

Its always struck me as very odd; I have friends who've done them and I've gently probed their reasoning and basically - shiny medal plus 'charity' appears to be the answer. Personally I'm quite happy to give to charity directly and enjoy the race itself more than the medal (usually!)

3. carlp

carlp Regular Member

I’ve just been reading about it, having been alerted to it on another site.

Looks like fun to me if you like the bling( which I do) for some reason I won’t do an event unless there’s a medal at the end.

4. WiltshireWonder

WiltshireWonder Active Member Staff Member

I've never done one but if they motivate people, more power to them! I nearly signed up for a virtual challenge this Christmas - run a certain number of miles and get a medal, raises money for a good charity.

This is the kind of thing that would really motivate my son, a sometime-reluctant-sometime-enthusiastic runner. So it clearly works for some people!

5. amasidlover

amasidlover Active Member

Interesting, whereas I'm motivated by cold, muddy events with plenty of hills - I think I can guess who a dispassionate observer might say was more sensible... :wacko:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice