What is Abnormal Pronation

ProfRothbart

The definition, that I contend, of normal pronation is derived from the research of Inman and Close who established the link between the hip and foot. They demonstrated that inward rotation of the pelvis relative to the ipsilateral (same side) foot, pronates the foot. Outward rotation of the pelvis relative to the ipsilateral foot, supinates it.

Apply this paradigm to stance phase, from heel contact to foot flat, the pelvis directs the foot to pronate. From foot flat to heel lift, the pelvis directs the foot to supinate. This pelvic to foot link is termed Hip Drive Pronation. I suggest Hip Drive Pronation is synonymous with the term Normal Pronation.

Once the term Normal Pronation is established, Abnormal Pronation can be defined as any pronation that is not normal (that is, pronation occurring between the interval of foot flat to heel lift). I have suggest this abnormal pronation be termed Gravity Drive Pronation.

Gravity Drive Pronation is exactly what one observes in the patient with the Primus Metatarsus Supinatus foot structure.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rule 42

Abnormal pronation, is when you get a severe inward lean of the foot, which is far more than the natural amount caused by the design of the levers. It doesn’t need to be a massive issue, decent shoe design can correct any excess pronation now.

OP
ProfRothbart

ProfRothbart

You are correct. Abnormal pronation is a severe inward lean of the foot (which is a subjective observation). An objective definition of abnormal pronation is required. And that definition I have suggested above.

Top Bottom