What is cross country running?

Discussion in 'Cross Country' started by Fresh Start, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Fresh Start

Fresh Start Member

Is it literally running in the countryside or is there more to it than that?

2. WiltshireWonder

WiltshireWonder Active Member Staff Member

My knowledge is biased because I learned about it in the USA but my understanding is that it's a form of off-road running. It's not as gnarly as trail running, surfaces are slightly smoother and they have the odd obstacle (like a bale of hay) or mud to run through. I believe you tend to run it in teams as well as opposed to as an individual. There's a whole CC series, I think. I really fancy having a go at it.

Anyone know more about it? I feel a little 'vague' here.

Redbadger and Fresh Start like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Fresh Start

Fresh Start Member

Thanks. That sounds quite interesting. Not something I can see myself ever doing, but there is more to this running lark than meets the eye when you start delving into it. :smile:

4. WiltshireWonder

WiltshireWonder Active Member Staff Member

I think it would be really fun! Apparently it's very muddy.

Fresh Start and Redbadger like this.
  5. classic33

classic33 Member

6. classic33

classic33 Member

You're not bothered about a bit of mud?

7. amasidlover

amasidlover Active Member

Had a chat last night with a cross-country runner - it is quite different to fell racing (which I do quite a bit of).

You have to be in a UKA affiliated club and you run for your club - because of this it generally only attracts fairly faster runners (apparently to get into the top half you have to be running sub-40 minutes for 10km IN THE MUD!!)

Its generally done in a relatively small area and round a twisty course over a number of laps; because of this the course gets churned up and very muddy.

But apparently its lots of fun, there are junior races too and its free (but you've got to be a paid-up member of a UKA club).

I plan to have a go next winter!

classic33 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice