Which side of the road do you run on and why?

Discussion in 'General Running Discussions' started by Redbadger, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Redbadger

Redbadger Regular Member Staff Member

I was advised, years ago, to run on the right side of the road (UK) facing oncoming traffic, on the basis that drivers and riders would see you better and give you more room.

Which side of the road do you run on and why?

2. john59

john59 Regular Member

Same here.

Redbadger likes this.
  3. WiltshireWonder

WiltshireWonder Active Member Staff Member

Same here unless it's on a blind bend - I generally change sides where necessary so as to give the oncoming driver the biggest opportunity to see me!

Redbadger likes this.
  4. Drhysted

Drhysted Regular Member

Same here, but mainly so I can see if I need to leap into the ditch.

Redbadger likes this.
  5. amasidlover

amasidlover Active Member

Same as @WiltshireWonder - with the further exception that if one side has a grass verge and the other an enormous stone wall (not an unusual situation in the Peak District) I go on the verge side in case of the need of an escape route.

Redbadger likes this.
  6. TriTom

TriTom Active Member

99% of the time towards traffic as is recommended (by who I can't remember, Highway Code?) and like drhysted so I can see if I need to jump into a hedge, but also like wiltshirewonder I will change sides if the situation requires it.

Redbadger likes this.
  7. WiltshireWonder

WiltshireWonder Active Member Staff Member

We've got to stay alive, people! I wear hi-viz all the time if it's grey...

8. Drhysted

Drhysted Regular Member

Forgot to add I don’t run in the gutter either. I space myself out a bit (about near side wheel to passengers seat distance) so I’m more visible. Then tuck in as the cars get closer.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice