Why I should run instead of lift...

ebonyslimm

Afternoon all,

For the past 5 years, I have found lifting weights to be a transformative experience - rewarding, addictive and kickstarting my momentum for everyday.

However, I have mixed up my training with running over the years i.e. sprint training, or the occasional half-marathon to train for.

In the past 6 months, I have emigrated to the Middle East where the gyms are very, very expensive. Therefore, I have taken on a short-term gym membership in the mean-time to decide, what to do next.

I feel like running would enable me to hit my savings targets and truly believe that exercise should be inexpensive and accessible to all. However, I also feel like not lifting weights is denying myself pleasure.

As a forum dedicated to running - could you provide some encouragement as to why I should prioritise running over a gym subscription. I have recently read the works of David Goggins and Rich Roll and am trying to 'buy into' the romance of running.

Also, I have a few concerns and would love any thoughts on the following:
1) I am concerned that sometimes after running I feel exhausted to the detriment of being able to achieve all of my goals in the day. Is this a question of conditioning? Will this cease over time? After all, I know that I'm conditioned with lifting, so it would be unfair to say that I feel 'pepped' after lifting and 'wiped' after running when I am more conditioned for the former rather than the latter. Or, is this a consequence of testosterone depletion? I'd love to hear your thoughts.
2) I'm traditionally a hard-gainer and have had to work hard by lifting weights to develop a physique which I'm pleased with. What can I do to stop being softer and weaker when prioritising running over lifting? Rightly or wrong, for me, this is important. I see exercise and feeling good about myself as linked. Once again, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Rule 42

Once you’ve bought a few bits of running kit, that’s your financial outlay done, then your exercise is free.

Top Bottom