Winter jacket

Discussion in 'Running Clothing' started by Fresh Start, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Fresh Start

Fresh Start Member

I haven't quite started running yet, I'm hoping to build up to that in the new year, but I would like to get out and start doing some more walking and wondered if anyone could recommend a jacket that would keep me warm, but not be too heavy that I end up sweating?

2. amasidlover

amasidlover Active Member

My 'go to' combination for anything around zero to 5C is; cycling bib longs (no pad!) a long sleeve base layer (merino if you can afford it / find it cheap), then a t-shirt and shorts, gloves, then a lightweight waterproof e.g. this which I take off once I've warmed up and is small enough to stuff in a pocket. That worked in the snow in Denmark in February... any colder and I'd probably be inclined to stick a fleece / down gilet on as well and just slow down if I got too warm (saving the harder workouts for when its a bit warmer).

Fresh Start likes this.
  3. The Rover

The Rover Member

Fresh Start and Steve like this.
  4. WiltshireWonder

WiltshireWonder Active Member Staff Member

I am rather fond of my very old cycling jacket, the Altura Night Vision jacket. It's perfect for running in cold temps and reflective too. Just one layer underneath and I'm fine. I can't justify a running jacket, this one just keeps going and going.

For hiking/walking, my patagonia down jacket is pretty amazing, but I wouldn't run in it. It was a bit of an investment (eek) but I love it so much.

5. Flatflr

Flatflr Regular Member

If you're worried about getting too hot why not try layers. In the winter i'll use a base layer (underarmour), thin fleece running top (Asics) and a waterproof outer (Ronhills) for when it's raining/snowing. Nothing too bulky and gives me the option of removing a layer if I start to get too hot. This has worked for me down to below freezing.

Fresh Start and sandra6 like this.
  6. Montane featherlight for me - only wind/showerproof, but I tend not to run when it's really grim.

Fresh Start likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Fresh Start

Fresh Start Member

Thanks for the suggestions - the idea of layers sounds interesting. I'll have a trawl of the web in January and see if I can pick up some bargains in the sales. :smile:

8. Truth

Truth Regular Member

I tend to go out knowing I will be chilly for a while but then comfortable when I get going.....
    Under dressing is the key for me. I always think no matter how cold it is you will warm up niceley if you work hard.

9. Redbadger

Redbadger Regular Member Staff Member

^ This - you warm up once you get going ... however if you are walking - and walking at a slow pace - you'll probably not get warmed-up in the same way as you would running, so wrap up warm from the start and take layers off if you do find you do get overly warm.

10. Truth

Truth Regular Member

Good point in fairness :okay:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice